Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I plan to pursue an HVAC career after my enlistment in the military. Do you guys think its harder for a woman get hired/accpected in HVAC? I am the one of 3 females in my flight of 50+ right now. I can do the job (aircraft maintanence) as well as any of them so I don't have any problems. Can I expect to be treated fairly on the job if I work hard?

Absolutly! You will do just fine. The only down side might be some heavy lifting such as carrying extension ladders and compressors etc. Good luck!
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

thank you for your service.SEMPER FI

The only problem I ever have anywhere is when a girl expects me to open a door for them or carry something heavy. I don't do that for my buddies that have Johnsons, so I be damn if I will do that for a cookie maker. Equal pay for equal work. Welcome to the field. You shouldn't have any problems.

Girl, you will be just fine. I've been in the field for a couple years now and all is good. I find myself having to help the guys because they've gotten to big to fit in the attics and change out coils. All in fun! There's always give and take to help your fellow tech.

thanks, guys. I like turning wrenches, tinkering with things. I'm sure HVAC will be a good career for me. Thanks.

Gogether is a good name. While HVAC is a great field there are many civilian positions available in aircraft maintenance that might pay a lot more. And thank you for serving in our military forces.

You're right, Nev. but if I worked in a civilian aviation industry I'd always be worried about losing my job. If my employer went through a bankruptcy or merger I could end up jobless. There are also strikes, economic downturns, etc. I figured something like HVAC would be a stable career I could count on.

The news does cover when 100s of Lockheed or Delta employees loose their jobs; and I have never heard, on the new, of HVAC personnel being laid off. But there is probably an equal percentage being displaced each hear. I am a one man operation, but I can tell when others are let go because I get an increasing number of calls for people looking for work.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Realisticly ,you will likely find some that have a problem with your gender,but a good attitude on your your part,which you likely have in your currnet position,should overcome any bias.

start a thread in the General section. You will get a load of comments from both women and men who like what your doin'.

Not everyone reads the threads here. Not until we're bored anyway

Welcome GoGetter...
    Having worked in both HVAC/R and the welding/pipefitting trades, the best advice I could pass along to you is that, just as a man, be prepared to prove yourself, plain and simple. But realistically, in some instances, that may be a an uphill battle, depending on where you go to work. I've worked with women that I've respected, that could work circles around most men, so dont assume Im against women in the trades. But there are the women who go into the trades, constantly yapping that they can do anything a man can do, that is until you ask them to do something, then its "Oh thats too heavy"...or some other lame excuse. And constantly causing turmoil because theyre a woman and feel they arent being treated right, and special considerations/allowances should be made for them. Thats the type that isnt welcome, and/or wont last very long. If anyone, male or female, isnt prepared to do a job, as it is, and what it requires, then they need to find another career. But since youre a Marine, Im sure you'll be more than prepared to meet any of the challenges that you may encounter. And I wish you all the best in your military career as well as success and prosperity in the HVAC trade.

Good Luck,
    Jerry

[Edited by generaltech1 on 10-14-2005 at 01:49 AM]
    A lack of planning on your part does not constitute a state of emergency on my part.

Those that don't want girls in HVAC are letting their fears show. GO get the Gogetter. We can exchange notes by email if this place doesn't work out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast