Thread: Furnace Filters

Thumbs up

All: I've learned a lot from you guys a while ago regarding hvac repairs and trouble shooting ideas. So, I've come back to the well for another drink.

I've been using HEPA filters in my furnace since we bought the house in 2000. I've come to learn that HEPA filters, according to some websites, are not appropriate for residential use. So, I'm considering going back to the less expensive filters a la Home Depot and Lowe's, i.e., the $.50 specials. Anyway, I'd like to get your views on furnace filters. None of us have any allergies or apparent breathing problems. The guts of the furnace/ac appear to be cleaner than most, according to the tech who serviced my system earlier this year. I was already advised by an independent contractor not to buy/install an electronic air cleaner. The HEPA filters I was using were $30 a pop, and I was changing them every three months.

Thanks for your input.

This HEPA filter right into the return or this a "by-pass" filter?? if it's in the return. it maybe making yoru system work hard.

You can get a media filter that will work just as well, and not hard on the system like the April Air or Honeywell. These filters last you a 6 months up to a year.

The 50 cents filters are ok. I am not nuts about them.. I've cleaned a few too many system that is plugged up from them filters..

You can get a pleted filters from Home Depot/Lowes about $8 for 3-pack. They are not as bad as the 3M red wrapped filters.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The only right way is to test the TESP(Total external Static Pressure)of the duct system,without a filter,to determine how "restrictive"(what pressure drop) of a filter can be used.

Merv 8 rating should be the minimum,to keep or equipment clean,and improve your indoor air quality.Media filter,4 to 5"'s thick is a good way to go,sized properly.

Duct modifications are often needed to allow the use of "better" filters,without the risk of damaging the equipment.

Originally posted by mayguy
    This HEPA filter right into the return or this a "by-pass" filter?? if it's in the return. it maybe making yoru system work hard.

You can get a media filter that will work just as well, and not hard on the system like the April Air or Honeywell. These filters last you a 6 months up to a year.

The 50 cents filters are ok. I am not nuts about them.. I've cleaned a few too many system that is plugged up from them filters..

You can get a pleted filters from Home Depot/Lowes about $8 for 3-pack. They are not as bad as the 3M red wrapped filters.
    Mayguy: Thanks for your input. The filter is on the return. I probably won't buy the really cheap replacement filters, but I've decided that, whatever type of filter I do buy, to change the filters once a month.

Originally posted by dash
    The only right way is to test the TESP(Total external Static Pressure)of the duct system,without a filter,to determine how "restrictive"(what pressure drop) of a filter can be used.

Merv 8 rating should be the minimum,to keep or equipment clean,and improve your indoor air quality.Media filter,4 to 5"'s thick is a good way to go,sized properly.

Duct modifications are often needed to allow the use of "better" filters,without the risk of damaging the equipment.
    Dash: Thanks for the info. The furnace/ac are of the high efficiency type, and since the hvac system came equipped with the HEPA filter already installed I'm assuming that the system can accomodate its use. Whatever replacement filters I do buy I'll pay attention to the merv rating, and I've resigned myself to changing them once a month.