What are some instances you would want acknowledged? I can see life safety and security but I would be interested in hearing what other guys make acknowledged and why? All I really deal with is HVAC and a little lighting.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

I would think that the exception would be Unacknowledged or Repeated Unacknowledged for control. Using lighting and HVAC as examples, you would want a lighting controller to acknowledge a receipt of a switch event. For HVAC, you would want an acknowledge of a Tenant Local Override event from a smart sensor.

An example of something that I could see surviving just fine on Unacknowledged might be outside air temp updates. If you miss one, will you ever miss it? Repeated Unacknowledged, if I remember right, is similar to the regular Unacknowledged but it peppers the network with a few of the same message, figuring at least one of them will get through.

The ability to set transmission tactics based on need is pretty cool, I think.

Crab,
    I'd use Acknowledged where you have a non-group connection (1 to 1 which results in 2 packets per update) or where you want to monitor the health of a connection. If the ACK doesn't get back to the sender after a configurable number of retries the sender will log a communication error (timeout) in the neuron error log.
    lb
    A hundred million nodes - it's a LON story.