Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anyone know a source or can provide a link for complete
    list of tasks to be performed during fall check, clean and tune? any Manufacturers' sites have this info?

What are some items that are commonly overlooked when this
    service is performed out in the real world? What items are the most crucial?

Obviously, every case is different, but what would the average time required be to do a thorough job?

Middle of MO here, yesterday we were servicing AC's (it was hot) and tonight some of the weather guessers are predicting scattered frost.
    Yee haw

You're an hvac 'flunkie' and you're askin us, what needs to be done on a fall service? I take from your post when you say "we were servicing AC's" that you were doing some of that servicing. How does one manage to perform service on a/c and not have a clue what to do in the fall? Just wondering.

If you're not sure what to do, then you need to call a professional. And before you jump the gun and say, but I am asking the 'professionals' here on this site, I said CALL a professional. This is not something that either you or an individual should be 'walked through.'
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

I know something the technician overlooked when he did my winter clean/check last friday. "Turn on the GAS valve before you leave!"

[Edited by jthomas21 on 10-06-2005 at 10:55 PM]

the list we use for fall check is three pages long, single-spaced. don't know who composed it...asking a simple question, trying to ascertain if this list, long as it is,
    actually touches all the bases. at least all the crucial ones.

I know that pilots, before they fly anything from a J-3 Cub to the Space Shuttle, go over a checklist first.

spelunking and water crawling under the house ought to pay extra

The Batdude has started a very good post here as do many others. He has asked for guidance and a check list for fall service checks. Instead of coming down on him like john did, post any helpful information you have for him and others to use. That is what this site; especially the "Pro" sections of this site are supposed to be about.

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    I was at a training class 2 months ago and got a very basic reminder of furnace servicing. CHECK ALL WIRE CONNECTIONS AND TERMINALS.

so........................where are your words of wisdom Mr. Nevada?

I'm a homeowner with a York 80% efficiency furnace. When I had the dealer's tech out a couple of years ago for a pre-winter check up, I watched him from the sidelines, to see if I could learn something in the process

However, I was surprised that this "check" of my furnace involved nothing other than watching it go through the purge, ignition, and firing cycle. As soon as it lit off and the blower came on, he pronounced it "OK". He did check the filter, which I change on a regular basis anyway. Shouldn't a furnace inspection involve more than just "watching" it light off? Since I didn't feel I got a comprehensive inspection, I haven't had it done since. These guys were the only York dealer in town, so I don't have a lot of choice.

Now, thats an attitude, with a capital "A"

mark g: what you received would depend on what you paid for. You are relating an environment that exists not only in this industry, but in others as well. A 'check' of the system that does not have specific tasks spelled out in detail, can be exactly what you described. I don't agree with the fact that the competitive marketplace creates a situation where the contractor feels compelled to offer a 'check' of the system in order to provide a low priced product. The old saying of you get what you pay for certainly applies in this case. I do not agree with this, and do feel as though our industry should vehemently resist the temptation to do this, but it seems there will always be those that choose the path of less resistance.

If on the other hand, the services that you contracted to be performed were not, then you need to contact the office of that contractor and complain.

Also, your service agreement, should be very explicit about what IS and what IS NOT included.

If this was simply an 'advertised' service from the company, and there was no clear representation of what to expect, then unfortunately, you probably have what you have. I would suggest contracting with a reputable dealer to perform a regularly scheduled service of your equipment and with that you should receive a clear understanding of what to expect and just exactly what is and what is not a part of that service.

John, I don't have an on-going service plan on my HVAC equipment. This was just the usual pre-season checkup advertised in the local newspaper. Since I realized that my new furnace was more complicated than my old 1977 Climatrol, I thought I should have it looked over by the pros. I didn't ask them what was involved in the servicing and there weren't any options given, so I assume the check-up I received was pretty much their standard servicing. I'm not saying I'm disappointed or unhappy with what they did. I guess I maybe was expecting a more thorough check, although based on my knowledge of this furnace, I honestly can't say what more I would have expected them to check. So I'm assuming here that if a visual inspection of the firing cycle doesn't reveal any problems, and it wouldn't be expected that an almost-new furnace would have heat exchanger concerns, then the service I received was probably satisfactory. At what age should the heat exchanger be checked?

The heat exchanger should be checked by a competent contractor every single year being you never know when one will fail.

There are several major procedures which need to be followed in order to access a furnace is in good condition and will provide good service for the season which includes a combustion analysis, flue draft, motor amperage check, gas pressure, capacitor checked, safeties and many other items.

You do not get this from a $19.95 telemarketing scam artist or any others close to that price.

Hey Nevada, I see you really helped this guy out by listing some basics. I guess $19.95 just does not get you that much in this day and time does it?

[Edited by madeinusa on 10-07-2005 at 03:38 PM]

Originally posted by Nevada

The Batdude has started a very good post here as do many others. He has asked for guidance and a check list for fall service checks. Instead of coming down on him like john did, post any helpful information you have for him and others to use. That is what this site; especially the "Pro" sections of this site are supposed to be about.

Nevada, what do you actually do for a living?
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast