Thread: Air Pressure Switch

Post Likes

Air Pressure Switch

I have a very tight home. I want to correct negative air pressure in the basement so 2 oiled fired units, and wood stove have a proper draft at all times.

I have a static make-up air duct that I would like to connect to a fan unit to induce more air on demand during negative air pressure periods. Is there an electrical air pressure switch available, (maybe adjustable limits) that would turn on during negative air pressure and off during high pressure, so the air pressure in the surrounding area could be controlled to avoid back draft??

Did I explain that ok???

Post Likes
    did you have a pro calculate the amount of combustion air you need?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal535 View Post
    did you have a pro calculate the amount of combustion air you need?
    Yes, very complete inspection including stack draft readings during turning on dryer, fans, and simulating a draft for the wood stove with a door blower.

Post Likes
    so how many btu's are you using on a full demand and how many cubic feet of space is the fuel burning equipment in? stack draft readings during turning on dryer, fans, and simulating a draft for the wood stove with a door blower. That is not calculating how much combustion air you need it may tell you you have a problem though.

Post Likes
    so how many btu's are you using on a full demand and how many cubic feet of space is the fuel burning equipment in? stack draft readings during turning on dryer, fans, and simulating a draft for the wood stove with a door blower. That is not calculating how much combustion air you need it may tell you you have a problem though.
    Oil water heater is 98k, Oil furnace is 110k. Both stacks go into a 8" chimney. The wood stove is on its own 8". Chimney heights are both about 35'

As far as the readings, they will be coming in a report. I just watched all readings graphically while all this was going on. It was 65 degrees, so realistically there should be better drafts in the winter.

He did say there is a problem, and had to give me a notice that this could result in a monoxide issue during the winter. During the test, back draft was simulated.

I am going to replace the oil units with newer ones and that both have a 10 sec purge, so this should help get the draft going also....

Post Likes
    how many btu's stove and cubic feet?

Post Likes
    I would recommend you call a pro and get a free estimate on combustion air. whom ever performed these readings for you seems not to be able to do it or know how. a mechanical combustion air system is more than just a fan and a pressure switch and if not installed properly can cause property damage as well as personal injury.

Post Likes
    I would recommend you call a pro and get a free estimate on combustion air. whom ever performed these readings for you seems not to be able to do it or know how. a mechanical combustion air system is more than just a fan and a pressure switch and if not installed properly can cause property damage as well as personal injury.
    Yes, I have a HVAC engineer coming in for inspection, making recommendations to the tech for the installations. The inspection I had early was just an energy audit for a energy rating of the entire home to see if I qualify for funding to install the Energy Star appliances....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in