We are installing three 5-ton Trane compressors and one 3-ton in one service yard area for a big house in south Texas and are wondering if these Trane compressors can be adapted with a slow-start mechanism so that we don't get the racket of the torque when they start up. Any advice? Is there a kit or something that can be added without voiding our warranties?

Thanks!

I would use Flux Capacitors rather than the more common and less expensive slow-starters. Mars 29B is the correct one for 3-5 ton machines, remember to cut and cap the purple wire as those Tranes are definately not subject to Carmichaels reverse induction effect.

These are "variable speed" Trane compressors. Does that mean that they will wind up slowly? My HVAC contractor believes that is the case...I'm not convinced...

They are the XL models

These are "variable speed" Trane compressors

The compressors are not variable speed. Trane used to make a variable speed compressor but stopped several years ago due to the high cost of manufacturing them.

The compressors are not varriable speed, but the condensor fan motors may be, depending on exactly wich equipment is being installed.
    There isn't really anyting you can do to make the units quieter on startup.
    The varriable speed condensor fan motors do start up slowly and ramp up to speed. If they are not VS motors, they will be 2 speed motors. Even if the motors are starting up on high speed, they are very quiet.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Why didn't you post this in the pros section? Are you an illegal installer?
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Must be a hack, otherwise he would've reminded me it's the blue wire, not the purple one... I don't know where my mind was when I posted that.

Yeah you ought to have your butt kicked....someone could have been killed!............hahahaha just kidding. Flux capacitor.....geeze give me a break.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Thanks for the clarification guys. The condenser fans are variable speed (they are the TRANE XL model), and should, according to my HVAC contractor, be quiet on start up. It's just that we have two 5 ton, and two 3 ton units, and if they all kick on at the same time, I just want to be able to make sure it doesn't sound like the start of the Indy 500.

They are all a row, in a small "service yard," but it's close to a patio, and I just hoped that we'd all be able to hear each other without shouting when the units are starting up and/or on....

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    Yeah you ought to have your butt kicked....someone could have been killed!............hahahaha just kidding. Flux capacitor.....geeze give me a break.