Thread: Surge

Surge

I have a Carrier Chiller 19XL, making surge,the gpm in evaporator and condenser are ok, please let me know what to do, the surge begin when the load is increasing

What's the approach temperature on each?

Approach

The approach in both condenser and evaporator are in 2 degrees F.

what are your pressure and temps on the condenser., seems to be fine at low temps, but when the machine loads up u have problems, the 2* approach , i would think that would elimate air, i would check tower water and tubes.
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

R-22 chiller. Non condensibles? Unlikely but check anyhow. Could be a sensor problem. Veryfy sensor readings. Surging high or low? Check refrig level. Make sure water is not bypassing at cond divider plate. Measure dp at end opposite piping.

Give us the information, please

Aleyara- I'm sorry but everybody who is trying to help you will need a lot more information then just 2*F approach on condenser and evaporator. Start with a complete model #, the number of condenser and evaporator passes, Condensing pressure and temperature, Evaporator pressure and temperature, Water temperature entering and leaving both vessels. In other words a complete log of actual operating conditions, as is when It starts to surge. The number of passes for a 19XL can be as many as 4 on the evaporator, I believe, but not sure. A 2*F approach sounds a little close to carry over. While your compiling your data also take a reading of your discharge gas temperature. If you have a pic-II controller you may have to measure actual temps and pressures as compared to the readings on the screen. One other thing that would help you cause would be to locate the original design date from Carrier. Talk to you later. -GEO
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO