Hmm

Are there any special precautions or requests that I should be aware of if/when my contractor installs an A/C system in cold weather?

I have read that the charging of the A/C system becomes more complex since the amount of installed r410a requires adjustment.

Is this a routine adjustment based on the temperatures and volumes of the inside and outside components?
    Should I request that the system be re-checked in warm weather?

My r410a system has not been purchased yet.
    I am asking this forum in case there are requests that I could/should add to my contract.

Thanks

not that it HAS to be done but we always go back in the spring and check our winter installs.

Exactly. High SEER requires perfect refrigerant level and that can't be done in cold weather. Needs warm outdoor temps and a load inside.

We install and set date before we leave with homeowner and service dept,then mail post card to remind them!!!!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Wink

posted by BaldLoonie
    Exactly. High SEER requires perfect refrigerant level and that can't be done in cold weather. Needs warm outdoor temps and a load inside.
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    What is your definition of "cold" and "warm" weather for the above?

I've have now removed myself from the buyers frey with the purchase of a furnace & ac system. My contract states that a pressure re-check will take place in the spring if it was "too cold" at the time of the installation.
    I'm kicking myself now that I did not define "too cold" before hand. The one point of reference that I have is the product data which states not to operate the A/C below 55F.

Dont tell me that 55-70F is a grey area. :-)

I assume that inside load is just a matter of dropping the tstat.

i like it to be at least 65-70 and dry out.

Prefer minimum of 70 outdoors with a bit of load indoors
    "Go big or Go Home"

Smile Satisfaction Guarantee

Originally posted by eeh
    posted by BaldLoonie
    High SEER requires perfect refrigerant level and that can't be done in cold weather. Needs warm outdoor temps and a load inside.
    My contract states that a pressure re-check will take place in the spring if it was "too cold" at the time of the installation.

___ I did not define "too cold" before hand.
    "Too Cold"
    _________ Outside T < Inside T ( i.e. 74')

All Reasonable mechanical contractors will work
    with you on this one.

It is not a difficult job to adjust refrigerant level in late spring on a newly installed system and assure your satisfaction.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities