I have a Carrier furnace model 58CVA which has been used for 3 mild winters. When I tried to start it last week, the blower didn't come on. The service man says it needs a new motor (variable speed) which will cost about $960 plus labor. I called Carrier about the warranty which was advertised as having a "five year limited warranty on the entire unit" to find out just what this consisted of. The rep told me there was no 5-year warranty. Furthermore she refused to tell me what the 5-year warranty, still being adverized, consisted of. Moral of the story: Don't believe the advertized warranty...get it all in writing.

Contact a local carrier dealer and have them check it out. Make sure that all your paper work is in order. Perhaps they may be able to provide the help you need. Carrier Corp. does not like talking directly to customers. This is the domain of the Carrier dealer. Sounds way premature for that motor to go bad. Something had to cause it.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Agree with coolwhip. Variable speed motors are built well, I have not heard of one failing that quickly. What does fail is the module, but there should be warranty coverage for the module (back of motor). I would follow this advise, call a reputable Carrier dealer.

GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Time to call the dealer again. They are incorrect.

Here's a copy of your warranty: 58CVA Warranty Card

CVA has always had a 5-year warranty. It began production when the 5-year parts warranty was introduced. Whoever tried to help you in Customer Service doesn't understand the warranty.

Hate to disagree, but the company I work for is a Lennox dealer. In the last 2 seasons I've not only changed out 3 motors, but in 1 case had to changeout the c/board as well. It gets pricey. I now for sure these parts were bad because when sent back to Lennox for warranty we got full credit.

jrbenny: Thanks for that warranty! I'll see if I can use it with the dealer/servicer.

The failure rate of these moters is very small maybe 5 percent of all moters returned for warranty are still in working order. The problem lies with the improper testing of the equipment. Have heard this from reliable sources. As for getting the warranty for returned motrs the manufacturers will give warranty eveb if the product is not faulty.

Moisture is the biggest killer of the ECM motor's.

Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Hi again,

What I am hearing from my fellow techs out there confirms my experiences:

The actual ECM motor (ECM is the trade name in the industry for the variable speed motor, that is made by GE corporation), is pretty tuff. The problem is mostly with the control module that is bolted to the back of the motor.

BTW--and I am sure all you techs know this: The control module is custom designed for EACH air handler or furnace. To randomly use one that is not matched for the particular unit will almost gaurantee more problems.

Yes there is a testing proceedure, yes there are lots of mis-diagnoses, and yes the warrenty folks will take them back irregardless (they want them back for testing to improve the product).

We are seeing the shake-down of new technology in the field. It is a GREAT idea, and I predict that in years to come we will see more ECM motors and less PSC motors.

Just a detail here: There is a version of the motor called a CTM (constant torque motor) that is the same motor but the module is programmed for a certain number of fixed speeds. Expect these to show up on lesser $$$ high end equipment in the years to come.

Just my ramblings, but we probably best get used to high tech stuff, it is here to stay...

I do probably 40-50 hours minimum of PG (professional growth) classes a year between Trane and RUUD (occasionally attend a 'brand-x' class to learn about their equipment). Here in GA, we are required to do a minimum of 4 hours per year.

GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14