Looking for honest opinions with regards to having either a Spacepak or Unico AC only system placed into my 2,800 sq ft home that was built in 1851.

Which system do you like more, which one do you feel is more efficient, which one offers more value for the buck, and which system would you prefer to have installed in your home?

Many questions......... Thanks to all who reply.

Lee

It depends on the application. Both units are similer however, the unico system is modular meaning the blower module buckles onto the coil. This simplifys matters when trying to install it in small spaces. These systems work great when properly installed. I believe the manufacturors will provide a list of contractors which are factory trained for installation.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

"Which system do you like more, which one do you feel is more efficient, which one offers more value for the buck, and which system would you prefer to have installed in your home?"

I am going to keep the older steam heat/oil heat in the house, but like the idea of adding AC that can be run through the floors on the first floor and through the ceilings on the 2nd floor.

Here is the home I own if you would like to lend me some help in trying to figure out if Unico or Spacepack makes the most economical sense?

http://www.gerrywilcox.com/PageLibra...oadBedford.php

http://www.dimensionshomepage.com/2concord.htm

(There are also PDF's on this site that give the floor plans to each floor. The barn and barn loft are not living spaces.)

The family room and guest bedroom on the first floor are additions that would not be able to be accessed from the attic.

I just had a rep leave my house today who was a Spacepak rep, and he suggested having a unit placed in the unfinished 3rd floor attic as well as a unit in the basement to cool the downstairs.

The rep has only been working for his heating and cooling company for 3 months and wants to have another guy with more experience come out and look at my home again before they bid on the job. (Didn't make me feel to comfortable, but I am glad that he was honest enough with me to get a 2nd opinion with an experienced co-worker.)

Why not go with regular dusct work? Also I have been told that Unico and Spacepack can only run on 10 seer condesers. Get ALL the facts before going with a high velocity system
    How much is it an hour?

I don't see the big diff between the products. If going through a small entrance, it's already been mentioned that the 2 piece Unico is easier. Otherise, I've worked on both, and just don't see anything to worry about. Last Space Pak we changed out, the coil was oily and had a big problem with condensate blowoff til we washed it, a pain and a pissed off customer.

Yes, HV does kill SEER. The average "12 SEER" outdoor unit ARI rates to 10 SEER. Going to 14+ units gets 11-12 SEER. They claim that the extra dehumidification means you can set it warmer but that claim can be made for variable speed air handler that boosts SEER. We've managed to do 2 story homes with standard ducting. For cooling only, doesn't take many supplies on the 1st floor since cooling falls and heat from 1st floor rises to the 2nd.

My cousin lives in her Mom's home and dear old Auntie would only allow 2 poorly placed supplies on the first floor. Yet the place stays comfy in hot weather.

Regular duct work would really create an eye sore as well as take away from the integrity of the historical home in my opinion. That's why my wife and I are considering the Unico or Spacepak systems.

SEER? You guys are talking greek to me. What does that mean and why is it something to consider when making this choice?

Thanks again for your responses. I really appreciate it.

I prefer the Space pak, its smaller in size, and fits in tighter spaces.

Other then that, there is no performance difference.

SEER is an eficency rating, the higher the less electric it uses to do the same amount of cooling, in theory.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If you can use spiral duct,looks great in barns conversions,I really think they are the same I think Spacepak came first from the JET HEAT guys, the someone left and started Unico.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

motherhumbucker

First, lets set the record straight. High velocity small duct (hvsd) systems have received an exemption from the DOE. So the comments regarding hvsd systems and low SEERs is moot at best.

The fact is, the operating peramiters of these systems are much different than the low velocity systems. The DOE realizes SEER numbers are meaningless when evaluating hvsd effeciency.

I personally prefer the Unico system over SpacePak for several reasons. The modular airhandler is easier to install which gives the contractor/ homeowner more options and the 2" flex tubing has a unique liner that is impervious to delamination.

Other brands use a liner that can be damaged by airflow if installed "backwards". This can happen since the tubing does not come with marking to indicate airflow direction. I guess you could say the installer has a 50-50 chance of getting it right.

That being said, regardless of which brand you choose, please make sure the contractor is an authorized installer.

Best regards...

Re: motherhumbucker

Originally posted by ruud-man

The DOE realizes SEER numbers are meaningless when evaluating hvsd effeciency.

I think Unico and Space Pak where denied their 13 seer exception when they first applied.

The DOE doesn't really care, both companies had to prove that they would be put in danger of going out of buissness, and at least 1 manufacturer of conventional systems also went to bat for them.

Not arguing about SEER, but the DOE doesn't know HVSD from conventional.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?