Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I just bought an investment property and found that all the lighting is low voltage
    I have never seen anything like this before, and was wondering if anyone has ever dealt with it

There are 2 main transformers that run the whole lighting system and all the fixtures are normal 120 fixtures and bulbs

Switches are real weird also 2 or 3 switches per 2x4 box (except there are no boxes in wall just wall cavity)

Not really sure what I want to know cause I know nothing about it so any info would be great

And I know its not hvac but also know someone here has seen it cause you guys have all been around the block

How did you determine that they are low voltage ?

Funny you say that, just last week I was at a friends house and he showed me that lighting, said he installed it himself, runs on 24v transformers.

The 120 volt bulbs do ?

Originally posted by dhvac
    I just bought an investment property and found that all the lighting is low voltage
    I have never seen anything like this before, and was wondering if anyone has ever dealt with it

There are 2 main transformers that run the whole lighting system and all the fixtures are normal 120 fixtures and bulbs

Switches are real weird also 2 or 3 switches per 2x4 box (except there are no boxes in wall just wall cavity)

Not really sure what I want to know cause I know nothing about it so any info would be great

And I know its not hvac but also know someone here has seen it cause you guys have all been around the block
    This a house?

Sure its not just a lighting control system, the lights are like 12V on the low voltage stuff.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

DH,

I owuld put a meter on them and check the volyage at the light fixture, it is sounding like old wire loom circuits,

three switches in a handybox is no tthat uncommon.

If they are 120 volt incandesant bulbs then they should have 120 volts to them in order to get the wattage out of the bulbs.

What you may be seeing is a 440 to 120 xfrmr. or something like it.If this a commercial bldg.

I remember working in older high-end homes in So. Cal that had lighting control systems. I'd go down in the crawler of this one house and pass a large panel attached to the wall full of transformers, wires, and relays. Since it had been there so long it had been worked on a lot and hacked up somewhat. Looked like it could qualify as an idol in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

All through the house were push buttons on the walls. Silent operation. Push it once, lights on. Again, lights off. Probably was neato keen swell nifty in its day but now it's just a klunky dinosaur electromechanical relic, sadly.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

sounds like a commercial system installed in residence. brother just finished his basement his brother in law hooked him up with a low voltage lighting system. pretty neat what it can do with different lighting scenes with one push of a button.

Are you sure you didn't get suckered into buying a doll house??

So a 24 vlot control system for 120 volt lighting system,

ok that make ssense.

heck that wasnt that uncommon. I have seen that in a lot of places . My uncles house was wired that way. I did have one friend that was buying a house that was next door to me but didnt being he was afraid of the low voltage switches. He never bought it and ended up with a worse house and the person that did buy it never had a single problem with the wiring. Sounds like that stuff is pretty trouble free then replacing a swith or two once in a while. Dont think the switches are that hard to find either being a lot of houses were wired that way.

Where you at Dec ?

I have never seen it in a home.bu tti does make a lot of sense, considering that we can still run 24 volts without conduit.

I have seen them in pool areas. My best friends house growing up had a system on the patio and pool area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast