Confused

I've been searching everywhere for this info. Hell, i think this is the first time even GOOGLE has failed me.

Can anyone tell me the tare weight of an empty 30# R-12 cylinder?

2 friends and I split the cost for one back in 1992 when it was only $8/lb. I tried recharging up my car (and failed thanks to a ****ty manifold set), and gave up. One of my buddies has used it a couple times (I think successfully). Other than that, it's been sitting in my basement ever since and now I'd love to sell it. I'm sure there's 80-90% left, as it still is almost as heavy as it was when I got it. But I can't give an exact amount/weight for pricing without knowing the tare weight.

Just how much is R-12 nowadays? The guys that fixed my furnace fan today said $100/lb.

It is just your average cylinder similar to a propane BBQ tank. I think it is a Cool-Shot brand or something like that.

thanks,

-Bill

[Edited by fjbill on 10-04-2005 at 03:26 PM]

Thought it was 6#

I'm a Federal Unauthorized Refrigerant Detector Man.

Can I have your name and address?
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

6-7 depends on tank manufacture.

I will say most of mine are near (if not) 7 lbs.

It's worth about .08 cents a pound now. You're gonna be rich.

hrmmmm, used drum of R-12. Probably is an old black handle jug, so no check valve to prevent refilling.
    Good luck selling it, I know I wouldn't buy a used black handle jug of refrigerant from anyone.
    There is also very little demand for R-12 these days, at least not at a price that would get you exited as a seller.

We have around 80 pounds of nearly useless R-12 sitting next to 90 pounds of even more useless R-500 in our shop, lol.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

gruvn is right if its an old disposable cyl it will weigh 6 or 7 lbs empty
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

I had someone ask me what he could get for a two 30 punders, still sealed, I told him if he gave me twenty dollars I would take them. He will probably never find a buyer, nobody wants the crap, it was a short window for turning a profit and the window is closed, JMO

Wink

Try selling on e-bay. and you know the tare, old muscle car owners very interested in r12 other than that not much good to a refer tec these days lol.

T
    "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in
    no other way."
    -Mark Twain, American writer (1835-1910)

Farmers

will buy it.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau