Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by overhear View Post
    I do have that effect on people.:-) I guess what I mean is the "concealed" ducted indoor units that Mitsubishi sells for their P-Series split system (for example, http://catalog.mitsubishipro.com/vie...oners-systems?).

Maybe I am confused. Are those units really not very "concealed" when they're installed?
    do you mean ductless units as compared to ducted?

Yes.

I do have that effect on people.:-) I guess what I mean is the "concealed" ducted indoor units that Mitsubishi sells for their P-Series split system (for example, http://catalog.mitsubishipro.com/vie...oners-systems?).

Maybe I am confused. Are those units really not very "concealed" when they're installed?
    These ducted units are totally concealed when installed - just as an indoor unit of a conventional heat pump or gas hot air furnace is. They are just much smaller in size and look a bit different. I have four of them with my Daikin VRV system, two in an attic area and two in a first floor utility closet.

Are you going to use multiple systems with each having an outdoor unit and one indoor unit or are you going to have multiple indoor units connected to a single outdoor unit like the VRV/VRF systems? There are non-VRV/VRF systems that have multiple indoor units on a single outdoor. Mitsu has a 4 ton non-VRF system that can have eight indoor units on a single outdoor.

Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    do you mean ductless units as compared to ducted?
    That's helpful. So you want ducted or at least concealed mini-splits rather than wall hung, right? Only problems I see with that is access and potentially having the indoor unit outdoors.

If the units go in the ceiling I'd redefine the attic thermal boundary.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by mchild View Post
    These ducted units are totally concealed when installed - just as an indoor unit of a conventional heat pump or gas hot air furnace is. They are just much smaller in size and look a bit different. I have four of them with my Daikin VRV system, two in an attic area and two in a first floor utility closet.

Are you going to use multiple systems with each having an outdoor unit and one indoor unit or are you going to have multiple indoor units connected to a single outdoor unit like the VRV/VRF systems? There are non-VRV/VRF systems that have multiple indoor units on a single outdoor. Mitsu has a 4 ton non-VRF system that can have eight indoor units on a single outdoor.
    One of my primary objectives is to have many multiple zones so that I'm not cooling rooms I'm not using so I'd like to use multiple indoor units connected to 1 or 2 outdoor units.

One of my primary objectives is to have many multiple zones so that I'm not cooling rooms I'm not using so I'd like to use multiple indoor units connected to 1 or 2 outdoor units.
    Reading between the lines, you don't want to pay a lot for cooling you don't use? Then be sure not to put equipment in an unconditioned attic, 30+% energy penalty for that.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234