Thread: Replace 21 year old lineset when replacing system?

Post Likes
    Howdy all,

Should I expect (or request) my contractor to replace the lineset, either to insure warranty coverage on the new Amana unit I'm about to purchase, or purely due to it's 21 year old age?

This is in Dallas and the current lineset runs behind the brick wall up to the attic. Not an overly long run. It seems like it'd be better insulated behind the brick than outside the brick where they'd likely have to run the new lines - but at the same time, the current insulation isn't in great condition where it runs from the brick to the outdoor unit. I assume that could be repaired, but I don't know if that is preferrable to just replacing the whole run.

BTW, his manual J shows that I only need 4 tons rather than the 5 tons I have now. The existing lineset looks to me to already match Amana's required 3/8 and 7/8 line sizes.

Thank you!

Marc

Post Likes
    i would always prefer to replace line set, however it has to be a judgement call depending on situation. as long as lines are clean and blown out with nitrogen should not be a problem.

Post Likes
    The insulation is no problem to fix. While I always like new linesets, sometimes it's not worth the cost to you when you have to tear out a slab/wall to replace it,when the existing is in good shape. I would have the existing tested for leaks in your situation(behind a brick wall) and re-use it if sized correctly. If you don't care about the asthetics of the brick wall and it's a short run, have them figure a cost to replace, as new is always better.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    mrand,
    I read your earlier post about the two ac company's. Which one did you go with? I live in Rowlett and I am looking for an ac company. Thanks, jmb

Post Likes
    I also like replacing linesets if it's not too difficult to replace, if it's buried, just slap on a filter drier & it should be fine.

Post Likes
    Well if its buried, its wrong, there's simply no other way to put it. I wonder if system is the word to use? Isnt the line set part of thge system? Otherwise, its replacing parts of a system and hoping like heck that the reason you replace a system is not becuase of one of the parts you chose not to replace.

Now that is not to say that old linesets cant be used. But would it not be safe to say a new line set is considerably better assurance that you dont immediately contaminate or jepordize performance (wrong size)?

If it can be replaced, replace it, if it cannot be replaced, realize that it may have some effect. convienience has no bearing on performace.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the answers guys. While you all basicly said a new lineset is always preferrable, were there any opinions about running the new lineset on the *outside* of the brick wall where it would be exposed to the elements (especially the sun) vs. using the existing one (assuming it is in good condition) that's under the brick?

For jmb: I plan on going with Unique A/C (which is now a One Hour Air Franchise). They are almost certainly higher than average price, but considering the experience and warranties, I'm willing to pay for it. The other company would almost certainly do as good a job on the install, but their price was *way* out of whack and at the same time, I couldn't help but wonder if their manual J was accurate. He eyeballed all the walls and windows and noted sizes, but I get the feeling he ended up quoting a 5 ton because that is what I already had. Email me at mrandtx at yahoo if you'd like to talk more about anything.

Marc (in NE Dallas)

Post Likes
    Originally posted by docholiday
    Well if its buried, its wrong, there's simply no other way to put it. I wonder if system is the word to use? Isnt the line set part of thge system? Otherwise, its replacing parts of a system and hoping like heck that the reason you replace a system is not becuase of one of the parts you chose not to replace.

Now that is not to say that old linesets cant be used. But would it not be safe to say a new line set is considerably better assurance that you dont immediately contaminate or jepordize performance (wrong size)?

If it can be replaced, replace it, if it cannot be replaced, realize that it may have some effect. convienience has no bearing on performace.
    I meant buried behind ceilings or walls which makes it difficult to remove and replace, not underground.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in