Confused I want to know what is the best way to get into the field and where.

I am self employed with a high school education. I have taken some college classes at HCCC. I have just recently moved here and could not fing a job that paid more than $10.00 per hour. I cant live on that. My fiance goes to USF full time and I pay the bills.I was forced to find any kind of work so I got networked with property investors here in tampa. I have 15 yrs Experiance doing home repairs on rentals. I am now working pretty steady on 1099. Self employed I do my own books, bids, and invoicing.

I would be a great asset at any company but it is so hard to find one that pays well with a future. So many employers are used to employees who take advantage of them. Therefore Good hard workers have to stay under the radar to make a decent living. Or work for pennys.

I am currently making $25,000 per year in Tampa Fl. I work for myself I do home repairs and maintenance. I freelance. I want to provide a better life for my kids and target the HVAC service field with the biggest market, without having a huge staff and overhead. I am looking to get into the HVAC field. I want to do service calls working for myself without a big company " legally"

I am great with client and tennants. I have years experiance in the service & maintenance industry.

I want to know the best way to get started with my HVAC education. There are so many different HVAC programs and degress where do I get started?

All of the tech schools certificates and Hvac degrees cost like 30,000. I do not want to get in crazy debt just to make a living, like I am now with a huge student loan to pay off.

What is the best school or company here in Tampa FL, that would give me the best education on HVAC not the shinyest diploma????

Arent there any good Employers who know how profitable it is to replace themself with self seficient, motivated, driven individuals?

The best way to learn how to fix anything is to do it over and over and over.

A school can charge as much as they want for an education there are still people out there with college educations I see them all the time holding a sign on the median.

The HVAC business is just like any other its all on who you know.

So here I am I thought before I do anything I would belly up to the social network and get some feedback.

Is it still worth getting into the business??
    or do I just keep on keepen on.

I have made a good living, which is defined by paying my bills, saving for retirement, and being able to buy/do most of the stuff I desire, by doing HVAC/R.
    School, etc?
    I think learning on someone else's dime is a better idea.
    If you are the things you described, then most companies will be willing to hire a green, know-nothing installer.
    And at that point it is up to you to learn all you can, attend any training offered by your employer (and that includes non-paid training), any free training offered by manufacturers and/or supply houses, along with all the training you can afford.

I think installer, then tech is the way to go, as it will teach you duct sizing, and what to look for when trying to troubleshoot a bad install.

Quote Originally Posted by THNKABTHVAC View Post
    I am self employed with a high school education. I have taken some college classes at HCCC. I have just recently moved here and could not fing a job that paid more than $10.00 per hour. I cant live on that. My fiance goes to USF full time and I pay the bills.I was forced to find any kind of work so I got networked with property investors here in tampa. I have 15 yrs Experiance doing home repairs on rentals. I am now working pretty steady on 1099. Self employed I do my own books, bids, and invoicing.

I would be a great asset at any company but it is so hard to find one that pays well with a future. So many employers are used to employees who take advantage of them. Therefore Good hard workers have to stay under the radar to make a decent living. Or work for pennys.

I am currently making $25,000 per year in Tampa Fl. I work for myself I do home repairs and maintenance. I freelance. I want to provide a better life for my kids and target the HVAC service field with the biggest market, without having a huge staff and overhead. I am looking to get into the HVAC field. I want to do service calls working for myself without a big company " legally"

I am great with client and tennants. I have years experiance in the service & maintenance industry.

I want to know the best way to get started with my HVAC education. There are so many different HVAC programs and degress where do I get started?

All of the tech schools certificates and Hvac degrees cost like 30,000. I do not want to get in crazy debt just to make a living, like I am now with a huge student loan to pay off.

What is the best school or company here in Tampa FL, that would give me the best education on HVAC not the shinyest diploma????

Arent there any good Employers who know how profitable it is to replace themself with self seficient, motivated, driven individuals?

The best way to learn how to fix anything is to do it over and over and over.

A school can charge as much as they want for an education there are still people out there with college educations I see them all the time holding a sign on the median.

The HVAC business is just like any other its all on who you know.

So here I am I thought before I do anything I would belly up to the social network and get some feedback.

Is it still worth getting into the business??
    or do I just keep on keepen on.
    I read your post more carefully this time and a couple of things popped out. You bring out two separate objectives. One is to find training, preferably as an employee in a company. The other is to gain experience in order to run your own business in the HVAC field. I would be curious to know how long that you would expect to need training before you can start doing this work on your own. Surely you have some time frame in mind?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

That is another question.

I currently am self employed. I have an intrest in the HVAC field. From what I have gathered from life, I know I can not expect to jump right into any field and be the best. I also know that having some tech school education or even hands on will not give me the experiance to run a business. I imagine 7 yrs experiance would give me a good education in the field. But my question is where do I get the experiance while I still have a business to run so I can pay my bills. I look at HVAC at being a combination of Electrical and plumbing with special knowlledge of refrigerant and ductwork. Correct me if I am wrong to assume this. I have been doing home repairs for 15yrs I am 30 yrs old. My dad had me helping him with side jobs when I was very young. From roofing to painting, to waterproofing basements, concrete work, and many more trades. I am a handyman. I have seen all kinds of licensed contractors do horible work on new construction. I have also seen other so called handymen do even worse because people want the job done for free. I believe work ethics are the most important quality in any trade. I want to be specialized in one trade and do it leagally with a license and insurance. I love a challange that is why I am a handyman every day is different. I can fix alot in a house but I wouldnt know my ass from my elbow on a AC unit. I am getting older and I dont know how much longer I can be a work muel. I dont expect a free ride ever I know I have to work hard in this life for anything worth having. I am at a point in my life where I need to make a change for my future. I dont want to be stuck doing what I do for ever. I want to be legit. I was raised around businesses that made deals on a hand shake and you knew who you were working with. Not a long leagal contract written up by the lawyers who get all the profits.

Erwin tech(Erwin.edu) offers HVAC. Since they are a part of the Hillsborough County school system, their tuition rate is reasonable. Check them out.

here's my 2 cents. I am 40 and have been in the plumbing trade most of my life. I work hard, am dependable and honest and take pride in my work. couple years ago i moved from city to country and had to change jobs in a small market. began work for a mechanical contractor and started doing helper work in ac somedays. I liked the newness of it and started studying on my own time. now i have an epa liscence, working on my nate cert, and learn in the field doing service and maint everyday. I could never have learned all this in school and i am short of time. dont get me wrong i would love to get a degree in this and move up faster but i need a job now and full time. there is no doubt that my mechanical background and ability to read bluprints, drawings and schematics helps, but I do tons of research, read service facts on everything i touch, and go over and above in cust. service. so far i am loving it and so is my employer. you have to work in the trade to really acess most of the manuf. websites etc. good luck. i will be doing this for a long time...

i want to know the difference between chiller water pump and centrifugal water pump?
    thank you.

smid you should start a new thread. i doubt anyone will find your valid question here. welcome to hvac