+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cornbread

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    I remember when I was a little boy yellow cornbread was called "yankee cornbread" and not in a derogatory way. Don't know why.
    That's what my wife and inlaws call it...I think it's an Amish creation, which would explain a lot as that's my family heritage.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Post Likes
    Hey there gtt. I was a surface puke! From 1979 to 1985. USS Mississippi CGN40 from 1981 to 1985 out of Norfolk, Va. I was an IC2 when I got out. How about you?
    Last edited by Nuclrchiller; 09-23-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: embarrassing typo!

Post Likes
    That does make sense, shaygetz. I sure would not expect it to have originated in an urban area. It's not ... sophisticated enough.

Post Likes
    I am with blade on the corn recipe. We just finished a pan and I cant wait for a new one. the weather is just cooling down and it tis the season to bake. I like it cold and crumbled in buttermilk too for a little snack.

Post Likes
    That does make sense, shaygetz. I sure would not expect it to have originated in an urban area. It's not ... sophisticated enough.

I love it....
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Hey there gtt. I was a surface puke! From 1979 to 1985. USS Mississippi CGN40 from 1981 to 1985 out of Norfolk, Va. I was an IC2 when I got out. How about you?
    I was an RM on active duty then went on and did the USNR thing, retired as IT1(SS). Pension in a couple years! I was aboard USS Lafayette (SSBN 616) and USS Daniel Boone (SSBN 629). OUt of Groton and Chasn - (Holy Loch, Scotland).

That intense nuc training paid off for you, eh?
    G T T

“In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends”

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gtt View Post
    I was an RM on active duty then went on and did the USNR thing, retired as IT1(SS). Pension in a couple years! I was aboard USS Lafayette (SSBN 616) and USS Daniel Boone (SSBN 629). OUt of Groton and Chasn - (Holy Loch, Scotland).

That intense nuc training paid off for you, eh?
    Yes it did. My main duties were as an Electrical Operator, including repair and maintenance. Plus, there was a lot of cross training as mechanical operator (steam cycle, heat exchangers,...), reactor operator (electronics), and radiological control (included water chemistry). All those translated very well to chillers and other hvac. So, do you miss those boomers? And I forget, is RM radio or radar? And I don't recall IT at all. What does that stand for?

Post Likes
    Radioman, the rate was did away with in the 90's, combined Data Processing Tech and Radioman into "Information Systems Technician". Qualified me for office equipment service, which I did for about 13 years. The USNR unit in Houston had a number of ex-Nuc's and sub officers, so it was a great bunch to hang with, most of them had their sh-t together and were doing quite well. Me? regularly want to kick my ass for not going into engineering right out of the Navy and doing HVAC when I was younger!
    G T T

“In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends”

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Post Likes
    Read this thread at work earlier today, and it made me so hungry for corn muffins, I got the makings on the way home. I'm not familiar with the no egg variation. When I have tried to make corn bread or muffins without egg, they don't hold together. I'd like to learn how to do that right. Anyway, I made a quick batch of muffins using Jiffy mix, chopped jalapeno, baking powder, and sour cream instead of milk. Sour cream loses most of it's tang in cooking, but gives a nice moist texture.
    Carpe Carp~ Seize the carp

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gtt View Post
    Radioman, the rate was did away with in the 90's, combined Data Processing Tech and Radioman into "Information Systems Technician". Qualified me for office equipment service, which I did for about 13 years. The USNR unit in Houston had a number of ex-Nuc's and sub officers, so it was a great bunch to hang with, most of them had their sh-t together and were doing quite well. Me? regularly want to kick my ass for not going into engineering right out of the Navy and doing HVAC when I was younger!
    I have heard that my rate (IC- "Interior Communications Electrician") has since been combined with EM ("Electrician's Mate"). It separated from that back in the 50's, so it's back like it was. If that doesn't make feel old enough, my ship has been scrapped! I saw a picture of it in the late 90's. It was dockside in Bremerton, Wa. with no superstructure at all. It was said to be scheduled to be scrapped. A few years ago I Google-map searched the area and there was no sign of it. And it was commisioned in 1979, so it "lived" less than 20 years. It was my home for 4 years, so it was a very sad feeling to learn that. I understand the only nuclear powered surface ships left are the supercarriers- no more nuclear powered cruisers. Dang, feeling a bit like a dinosaur here.

Post Likes
    None of the boomers saved, pretty sure none of the SSN's either, except the Nautilus,. . . that darned radiation . . . Two of the boomer "sails" were saved and are on display. . . one at the US Submarine Force Museum, Groton, CT and the other down near the Kings Bay, GA Sub base. The USSFM has a nice monument with the names of all the original 41 boomers listed. Got a lump in my throat when I saw it, thinking about all the funerals, births and life events the crews missed. RTC Orlando. . . gone, NTC Bainbridge MD. . . gone, Fleet Sonar School, Key West. . . gone, NavSta Chasn. . . gone. . . ah, yupp, dudes we be OLD!. . . . Even Subase NLon CT was on the chopping block recently.
    G T T

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Post Likes
    hmmm, this was supposed to be Food & Grill and here we are gabbing about old Navy stuFf, shame on us! LOL!
    G T T

Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in