Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cornbread

down for that Nuclrchiller! is that short for NUCLEAR CHILLER?
    G T T

“In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends”

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Yeah gtt. For my time in Naval nuclear power and my time with Trane as a chiller tech.

One of the few things I just haven't picked up on is cornbread from down here. I grew up eating a soft, sweet kind my Cajun princess calls yellow cake...every so often finds me choking down a piece of the family corn pone I swear I could use as a giant sporting clay....there just ain't enough butter in a cow to get it down...
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

I have heard it called an acquired taste. Personally, I can't acquire enough of it! Man, I even like it cold with cold butter smeared on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    I have heard it called an acquired taste. Personally, I can't acquire enough of it! Man, I even like it cold with cold butter smeared on it!
    Went to a church event where the older women had whipped up a batch of the best "yellow cake" cornbread in a long time...I was just this side of getting on bended knee and proposing to the whole lot...my Cajun princess just can't come close....
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Yeah gtt. For my time in Naval nuclear power and my time with Trane as a chiller tech.

Sub or surface? I was a "forward puke" on a couple boats in the 70's
    G T T

“In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends”

Martin Luther King, Jr.

It's funny how such a simple thing can have so many variations. Around here it is usually whitish in color. Yellow is seen mostly in restaraunts, I think. I like both, although I prefer the white. Still, if yellow cornbread is served, I'm not dissappointed and I will eat all on my plate and will probably ask for more! I remember when I was a little boy yellow cornbread was called "yankee cornbread" and not in a derogatory way. Don't know why.

I remember when I was a little boy yellow cornbread was called "yankee cornbread" and not in a derogatory way. Don't know why.
    That's what my wife and inlaws call it...I think it's an Amish creation, which would explain a lot as that's my family heritage.

Hey there gtt. I was a surface puke! From 1979 to 1985. USS Mississippi CGN40 from 1981 to 1985 out of Norfolk, Va. I was an IC2 when I got out. How about you?
    Last edited by Nuclrchiller; 09-23-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: embarrassing typo!

That does make sense, shaygetz. I sure would not expect it to have originated in an urban area. It's not ... sophisticated enough.

I am with blade on the corn recipe. We just finished a pan and I cant wait for a new one. the weather is just cooling down and it tis the season to bake. I like it cold and crumbled in buttermilk too for a little snack.

That does make sense, shaygetz. I sure would not expect it to have originated in an urban area. It's not ... sophisticated enough.

I love it....

Thumbs up

Hey there gtt. I was a surface puke! From 1979 to 1985. USS Mississippi CGN40 from 1981 to 1985 out of Norfolk, Va. I was an IC2 when I got out. How about you?
    I was an RM on active duty then went on and did the USNR thing, retired as IT1(SS). Pension in a couple years! I was aboard USS Lafayette (SSBN 616) and USS Daniel Boone (SSBN 629). OUt of Groton and Chasn - (Holy Loch, Scotland).

That intense nuc training paid off for you, eh?
    G T T

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast