Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HVAC as a summer job for university student?

Hello all,

I would appreciate some feedback regarding HVAC as a summer job for a university student. Firstly, I am from British Columbia and just finished my second year schooling at JARTS in Vancouver. I am halfway through my apprenticeship and very much enjoy the trade.

Aside from the trade my hobbies include music and I decided to apply at a music school in Vancouver. I have been accepted.

My parents would like me to finish my trade before I go to university or college. I would like to accomplish both. Go to school during the school year and work during the summer. Eventually, finish the rest of my trades schooling.

Do companies ever hire people just for the summertime?

Bump

Any info would be much appreciated!

this is a pretty serious business, and guys arent answering because there are many people who dont give it the respect it deserves. working as summer help happens, but not these days in most cases. by the time you are able to work by yourself, in most cases you are gone back to wherever. not always, but most times. This is one of those jobs where they expect you to dig in and do the work for years to be a part of the team.

We have a college kid working for us this summer. He's our dispatcher's son, in school for engineering. Picked it up fast. Had another kid work for us for 2 summers. 2nd summer he was lead installer on A/Cs, could do anything but metal.

So it is possible.

I got a good job in a Hospital Maintenance Department one summer while I was in school.
    Learned a lot.
    It is like looking for any job - you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Funny you shoudl ask, Just recieved word the local tech. school is looking for a registered student to work in the steam plant, great opertunity..........
    One small thing, its here in Atlanta, GA. the place is Georgis Techinal Instute of Technoligy or as we all sazs GT.

Best to ya, keep learning, it never ends..........

Thanks a lot for the response guys.

I give a huge amount of respect to the HVAC Trade. You need to know a lot, and every new experience is a learning experience. Some days nothing goes right and some days its all smooth like butter. Every period of school expands my mind and kicks my ass. I think I know some stuff and then my brain gets squashed. Its genius how humans have devised systems to remove heat and all the little parts and peices to get around specific issues that happen in different enviroments. The constant dance between the pressues in a system and how to manipulate it astounds me.

From the responses here I see that its just like anything else in life. If you want it you gotta go and get it. It may be hard but I will find a summer job for next year.

HVAC will always be my money maker. At 21 years young, I feel I will have enough energy and motivation to complete a university degree and then work during the summer. My goal is to finish both. Eventually I will be a Redsealed Journeyman HVAC/R Mechanic.

DON'T DO IT!!! Find some thing else: Unless you like starving in the winter, long days during the summer, working holidays and weekends. Face it you have to be an electrician,plumber,pipefitter,duct man and the general scape goat for the archetect. Because he does not have a clue that you have to be able to get to the unit after its installed. The tech. changes on the units as fast as your computer goes obsolete. Its bad when you have to call the service rep. to ask what a part is and they tell you its not on the parts list. Not to mention the customer is happy to see you at 2:00 A.M. until you give them the bill. Then its the ranting and raving about having to pay over time rates after getting you out of bed because they are hot. Or how about bypassing a control board to get them through the night and then they get the quote on the new board. They don't fix it then when the compressor burns up they bad mouth you all over town because you won't warranty their compressor. Oh by the way the pay is not that good.

I was in industrial/commercial type maintenance for years, then ended up in the HVAC/R field. I then quit it to go back for a MA. And now I am back doing HVAC/R.
    Have more than one skillset can do nothing but help you.

Quote Originally Posted by meoberry View Post
    Oh by the way the pay is not that good.
    You must not be that good at it then.
    Eat a slice of Humble Pie.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerk View Post
    You must not be that good at it then.
    I have had a lot of complaints about the HVAC/R field.
    Pay has never been in the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    I have had a lot of complaints about the HVAC/R field.
    Pay has never been in the top 10.
    Why do you even continue to do HVAC work? You made quite a list of your complaints and if I didnt like something as bad as you claim then I wouldnt keep doing it. Nobody put a gun to your head and made you choose this line of work so if you hate it that much then get out of it. Ill sit in a 120* attic all day and work until midnight if I have to, I LOVE IT. Ill also run service calls for 12-15 hours, love that too. Only thing I dont like about this trade is candy a$$es like yourself that put it down.
    Eat a slice of Humble Pie.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerk View Post
    Why do you even continue to do HVAC work? You made quite a list of your complaints and if I didnt like something as bad as you claim then I wouldnt keep doing it. Nobody put a gun to your head and made you choose this line of work so if you hate it that much then get out of it. Ill sit in a 120* attic all day and work until midnight if I have to, I LOVE IT. Ill also run service calls for 12-15 hours, love that too. Only thing I dont like about this trade is candy a$$es like yourself that put it down.
    Excuse me?
    Do you have issues or have you gotten me confused with some other person?
    Obviously if I had a problem with the HVAC/R business, I'd be doing something else, and not posting nor been a member of this site since 2005.(Which BTW is longer than you have been a member).

And candya#&?
    That sounds professional.
    What do you call your employees or customers?
    Sorry to bust your bubble, but I been working since I was 17 years old, all of it maintenance type work except for a couple of brief stints in college. Call me when you spend 48 hours towing Duke power trucks through 11,000 acres of muddy fields with a tractor after a hurricane so they can get power restored to a maximum security prison. Not to mention the basic HVAC/R type calls in the middle of the night, or where you got to stay until it is back on line, no matter what.
    Maybe lay down the hostility before typing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast