Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

H10PM or H10G leak detector?

Does anyone have anything positive or negative to say about the Yokogawa/Bacharach H10PM all-in-one leak detector?

How long does it hold a battery charge before it needs to be recharged?

Will it perform a leak detection while it's also recharging?

How often does the battery go bad and need to be replaced?

Is the addition of the battery and charger the only difference between the H10PM and the H10G?

The MARS Bacharach H10G is great. It's just a pain to use an extention cord and have to depend on locating a working outlet. I would appreciate any input on the matter.

Thank you!
    "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- John Ruskin

h-10

Quote Originally Posted by Saturated Suter View Post
    Does anyone have anything positive or negative to say about the Yokogawa/Bacharach H10PM all-in-one leak detector?

Is the addition of the battery and charger the only difference between the H10PM and the H10G?

The MARS Bacharach H10G is great. It's just a pain to use an extention cord and have to depend on locating a working outlet. I would appreciate any input on the matter.

Thank you!
    Im very happy with the batteries ..... I think its been 3-4 years and they last a long times on an over night charge .....
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )

I just bought the Johnson Controls H10-PM after much research here on the opinions of other pro's and I can say that I am not disappointed. I had to replace the lead acid battery and it will last about 1-2 hours on a charge. You can use it while it's charging and the H10 is extremely sensitive (started to chirp when I got within 25' of it). I would definitely recommend getting one.

I have an H10-PM that I purchased a little over a year ago.
    According to their manual the AC adapter provided with the unit is only to charge it while not in use.
    They sell another AC adapter which can be used to operate the unit while it is plugged in. This adapter is much larger in size.

I have had great success with mine finding leaks others gave up on finding.

I just got one and am happy so far.
    The Bill of Rights ARTICLE II "The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall NOT be Infringed".
    [SIZE="4"]

I tried to buy the 120 volt charger that is designed to operate the unit. I was told it was discontinued and the charger that comes with the unit (that says it's for recharging the battery only) would work. Haven't tried it out.

Bought the 12volt charger that plugs into the cig. lighter. Shortly after using it, I needed a new battery. Don't know if it was the charger or bad luck, but I haven't used it since.

If I get the chance, after using it I plug it in and recharge it.

Otherwise every other week, I bring it inside and let it recharge.

Great unit, once you get used to it (it's really not that hard). Just keep the battery charged. When the battery gets low, it acts weird.

Replacement batteries dcan be purchased for about 20 bucks. Chargers are out there. You need a 12 volt power supply that puts out 1000ma to use it while plugged in and charging at the same time.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Replacement batteries dcan be purchased for about 20 bucks. Chargers are out there. You need a 12 volt power supply that puts out 1000ma to use it while plugged in and charging at the same time.
    Where can you get batteries for $20.oo?
    The Bill of Rights ARTICLE II "The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms Shall NOT be Infringed".
    [SIZE="4"]

Twilly is happy
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by nratom45-70 View Post
    Where can you get batteries for $20.oo?
    http://www.batterysharks.com/Yuasa-N...FUHs7QodXHTuZA
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Saturated Suter View Post
    Positive:
    Bad azz
    predictable & no false positives yet.
    allows for adjustment
    field repairable

Negative
    "not plug and play"- requires adjustment
    requires regular maintenance

not really sure. as it is a lead acid battery it should be charged before it gets drained for max battery life. I have used it to find leaks on several resi systems without needing a recharge though.

with the right charger, yes.

don't know.

don't know but I believe so. that being said, ther have been changes over the years. You need to compare apples to apples.

Thank you!
    Yes it is! Highly reliable. I think I'm getting kinda close to needing a new sensor which will hurt, but I don't really mind because of all the money it has made me, and all the time it has saved me. When the H-10 tells me I've got a leak I don't second guess it anymore.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

also, Id like to ask how high can I pressure up the high side of the system with the scroll compressor in the circuit?

Some of you may remember a thread I started a few weeks ago... I was changing the battery in my H10-PM (usually do every 2 years)... and hooked it up backwards... let out the magic smoke... whoops. The unit was only 16 (sixteen) years old, and still sharp as a tack for R-22 (not so good with 410 though... probably age).

Bought a new H10-PM from the lowest price folks I found from a Google search, I think it was $395 with free shipping... It was supposed to be a Yokogama, but I received a Bacharach... not complaining.

So now I have an extra battery, an old dead H10PM, an extra charger, and a new H10PM that works GREAT! And yes, it does smell 410, albeit only in the most sensitive mode.

Since I only do resi, this is a GREAT unit! VERY rugged, and very forgiving.

IMO the key to battery maintenance is to not let it run down too much. It is a sealed lead-acid battery (similar to an auto battery), these prefer to be kept charged and not let run down. My short-coming with the battery was to ignore it for 5-6 mos during off season. If I had brought it inside and charged it once a month... I probably would get better battery life.

On the charger... I have on many occasions (with the old unit and old charger) plugged it in to chase a leak. Usually I would let it sit for 5-10 min on the charger before turning on the H-10... this seemed to work best. Never a problem justifying my hunch of a bad coil (screaming at me), or bad service valves or schraders (chirping merrily), or it takes a little longer to find a leak in a condenser coil.

While I am at it, here is a tip for finding a leak inside a wall (nail in lineset): Grab the lineset at the top, and rattle it... then stick your leak detector into the hole at the bottom where the lineset comes out of the wall... It will take a few minutes, but the freon is heavier than air... so it drifts down. Works for me every time. Then the fun part is to decide where to cut the hole in the wall first. Hint: Usually it is the SL, so look for oil on the outside of the SL, then go up until you find the leak. Hope this helps.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast