Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Air compessor for the truck

Im considering getting a compressor to put in my van. There are several tasks that I currently do with nitrogen that I think would be done easier with compressed air (cleaning blower wheels, washable filters and the like) If i get one that is small, ie portable, and fits in the truck well, it will most likely run on 120v so I will need to get an inverter to run it in the truck or drag a cord out every time.

Does anyone else have a compressor in their truck and if so what sort of set up do you have?
    The only true knowledge is the pursuit of knowledge

Carried one for a while for the same reasons... took it out and left it at home. There are lots of compressors for construction (nail guns) that are not costly and can do the job... however one needs to have a decent tank on them (the pump will not keep up with blowing things).

The amount of current to run the pump, along with surge amps to start it... would be one MACHO invertor... probably the cord would be a good idea.

For me, use a chemical (like coil cleaner) to clean things, rinse them thoroughly with water, and N2 to dry them...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by 5thRoot View Post
    Im considering getting a compressor to put in my van. There are several tasks that I currently do with nitrogen that I think would be done easier with compressed air (cleaning blower wheels, washable filters and the like) If i get one that is small, ie portable, and fits in the truck well, it will most likely run on 120v so I will need to get an inverter to run it in the truck or drag a cord out every time.

Does anyone else have a compressor in their truck and if so what sort of set up do you have?
    I have a portable Emglo compressor with 2 stacked horizontal tanks. This is a good one, before they were bough out by DeWalt. It is an oiled compressor and it has a slightly better tank volume than the pancake style.

It needs pretty much the whole 15 amp circuit to run, and you better have a #10 extension cord if you plan to use an extension cord. If you don't use synthetic oil, it will trip the breaker when it is cold outside (<35*F).

You will need a huge inverter and battery bank to run it.

It will run the whole time you squeeze the trigger on a blow gun, and you will have to stop once in a while to let the tank develop some pressure.

I've never tried doing cleanings with N2, so I can't tell you if the compressor is better or worse. It is heavier than a 40cf nitro botle.

2 tanks of co2 & a regulator. less space & no elec. requirements.
    most welding suppliers have it in stock & even a few a/c suppliers.

And lots of CO2 in a bottle compared to nitro.

Quote Originally Posted by neophytes serendipity View Post
    And lots of CO2 in a bottle compared to nitro.

X2.

Co2 is liquid, whereas the N2 is dry....

A 40 cu.ft. bottle of Co2 lasts me about two months..

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    2 tanks of co2 & a regulator. less space & no elec. requirements.
    most welding suppliers have it in stock & even a few a/c suppliers.

If you get creative, you can adapt a CO2 regulator with quick connects and use standard pneumatic hose.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

If you get creative, you can adapt a CO2 regulator with quick connects and use standard pneumatic hose.

The only word of caution I will throw out there for this practice would be to add a pressure relief on the outlet of the regulator. I did mine with a brass tee. I used a 150# relief valve.

We had a guy do this and the regulator got jacked up somehow and it blew the fitting clean off the hose. The only injury was a slap from the flailing hose, but could have been bad.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by neophytes serendipity View Post
    I have a portable Emglo compressor with 2 stacked horizontal tanks. This is a good one, before they were bough out by DeWalt. It is an oiled compressor and it has a slightly better tank volume than the pancake style.

It needs pretty much the whole 15 amp circuit to run, and you better have a #10 extension cord if you plan to use an extension cord. If you don't use synthetic oil, it will trip the breaker when it is cold outside (<35*F).

You will need a huge inverter and battery bank to run it.

It will run the whole time you squeeze the trigger on a blow gun, and you will have to stop once in a while to let the tank develop some pressure.

I've never tried doing cleanings with N2, so I can't tell you if the compressor is better or worse. It is heavier than a 40cf nitro botle.
    This is the same compressor I carried for a while... And yes, it does take every bit of 15 Amps at 120V to crank and run it. The part about #10 cord (#12 for 25 ft or less) is absolutely right.

Using a CO2 bottle is a better idea IMO.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

that is what ive done for years. also most of my customers dont mind exchanging bottles for me wheni im at a bar or resturant doing work

I've been seriously considering one of the small CO2 regulator setups like the one sold at Lowes.

Accepts a paintball gun type cylinder and uses standard pneumatic hose.

Wouldn't take much to fit that into the Veto for small condensers, drains, etc......

i have the one your talking about & its great most of the time.

The truck I bought had a compressor built in. Has two hose reels sticking out the back of the truck, one for dry air and one for tool air that is hooked to an automatic oiler. Comes in handy. Doesn't take up much space in the truck. Doesn't run off an inverter. Truck has an onboard 6500W generator that it takes it power from.
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast