Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool

Quick question here, I just found this site today . I am a brand new service tech. I asked a simple question on here and noone seems to answer, act like they are afraid to tell a secret or something. What is the use of these boards if you cannot learn from them? Are we just scared Home owners becoming do-it -yourselfers?

I have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Could simply be no one had an answer or opinion to your question.

Whining will get you noticed though
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=85860

this is his problem robo he is either a H.O.
    or very green and in danger but does not want to get hands on help

Originally posted by awc
    Quick question here, I just found this site today . I am a brand new service tech. I asked a simple question on here and noone seems to answer, act like they are afraid to tell a secret or something. What is the use of these boards if you cannot learn from them? Are we just scared Home owners becoming do-it -yourselfers?
    IMO you learn best by reading other people's tales of thier experiances. Look at pictures on how to and how not to do things in the trade. Ask questions. Ask specific questions and be clear.
    It's not that we don't like DIY's or Home Owners. What we are cautious of is giving people advice, they don't understand it and apply it incorrectly and killing themselves or others in the name of saving a little money.
    As far as secrets go. I'll tell you one very big secret. The secret is, you'll never know everything, you'll never stop learning and keeping your mouth shut and listen to what experianced tech's have to say is invalueable. With that in mind, you will go far in this trade.
    Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

Originally posted by awc
    Here's the deal, you asked a very elementary question.

That question should be of no problem to someone with some training.

You signed up just today after another poster just got pissy over a very similar post.

We are protecting you, the people around you, this site, and us from a very dangerous situation.

You're a tech(?), then ask this simple question to the lead tech tomorrow!

problem in my company there is no lead tech, we are both "green" and in our first heating season.

Your doing service and cant figure out how to tell if the valve is bad. You need to apprentice under an experienced tech. and get yourself educated befor you burn down someones home. Sorry!
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Originally posted by awc
    problem in my company there is no lead tech, we are both "green" and in our first heating season.
    if you or someone else started a hvac business and do not know what is going on RUN,
    RUN VERY FAST, RUN VERY FAR, it wont be if but when that you kill someone

The lead tech IS GREEN TOO?

That's not the first time I've seen that.

Guy works for a company one season and finds out most of the business was generated bv a yellow page ad.

Guy takes out an ad in the yellow pages too(boku bucks).
    Finds very cheap labor by hiring some guys from a barely reputable trade school who barely pass the over simplified
    cirriculum.

The boss with barly enough education himself works from his home to save on overhead and releases these guy he hired into the field.

Most of the time the guys call in for help and the repairs are made "over the phone".

I have seen it happen a whole lot in the past and I am sure it is still happening today.

Originally posted by awc
    Sorry awc

The guys are right.... we can't help you with that kind of information due to Forum Rules

I would suggest more training or a serious chat with the factory service tech to send you further info.

'luck

Knowledge

Hey
    I appreciate all the comments, but the deal is I have a basic understanding of heating & cooling. I can troubleshoot, have an electrical background. What you learn from a school or isnt at all compatiable in alot of circumstances. I have the option of calling the owner, factory reps etc... However, if I want to continue to learn asking questions here and figure out myself is the best learning way for me. I know of hazardous situations and am not a dummie. I worked on a bomb squad prior to this. I have checklist, books and the hindsight to keep myself and customers safe. My comment was basically due to not understanding what the concept of this board is if ever one is so tight lipped. A average homeowner is not gonna put you out of business by changing a flame sensor. I think most homeowners know when it is time to call someone with training. I am "green" but have some sense about me, I am not just out there changing parts, etc.. All you guys started soemwhere. I have some install background also. I think I can learn alot from the experienced techs on this board, but seems like they dont really want to give you that info. In the upcoming years equipment is going so high tech anyway, all this old school stuff will be phased out, so seem slike everyone is going to be learning for sometime. I have learned I never quit learning and every situation is diffrent, that is why I enjoy being a service tech, I am proud to be one and love the 12 hour days for now.

If you are really in the trade then register as a pro member.

If you have a basic understanding of heating equipment, and you have a basic understanding of electricity, you shouldn't have to ask this question.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I have no water hooked up to my home at the present time, how can I tell if the water faucet is good or not?

Do you see the similarities?

And you worked on a bomb squad?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast