need help identifying ancient Whirlpool A/C model

Greetings everyone.

I am new to this forum, but I have a simple identification problem only people with a LOT more experience with old A/C systems than I have can solve. I have a 30+ year old Whirlpool A/C system that has died. The home warranty company is stalling me and will not budge on honoring the warranty unless I can produce a a manual from Whirlpool that shows that owners 'can' perform the maintenance. Whirlpool tries to be helpful, but cant do much without a model number. I have a few photos here of the unit, which is clearly tagged as a Whirlpool, but the model and serial tags are faded into uselessness. Can ANYONE help me identify what model or product line these may be, and the vintage? This is worth a reward from me (typically a case or bottle of something they like to drink shipped to where you live). If you can help, I would appreciate it.

The unit sits on a pedestal outside the home in northern Florida. The unit feeds a plenum made of sheet metal inside a wall, and from there fans blow the cool air through ducts to 4 vents serving 3 rooms. Nothing amazing.

Help.
    and, thanks.

Doc

Hey.. I just submitted, but I dont see my 'pictures' anywhere... I was careful when I copied and pasted my URLs/Links from flickr..... so... I am sending the link to my flickr site and you can see the pics of the Whirlpool A/C there... if you want... thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11547882@N04/

Sometimes the model number is inside on the electrical wiring print attached to the panel.
    Never give up; Never surrender!

Well the unit is old!
    The home warranty company will probably pro-rate it which means that you will probably owe them.
    When you get a new unit you could probably have about 50-60 foot of flex duct removed and it will run lots better.
    good luck

30+,you mean 30+++++!

I have that same unit, but it has the Heil-Quaker name on it. I installed it in 1989. I'll see if I can find the number somewhere. Mine is a 3 ton unit
    I'll be there when I get there and not a minute later

Old Villager, I'd guess late 70s, early 80s.

those are actually very effecient. I don't know how but all the ones i worked on the ho would comment on their low a/c bill was.

dogboy

I cant get any numbers off my unit, the print is gone, the tag is not readable.

Have you sent Whirlpool some pics ?

As far as Home warranty regarding what you can do to fix a problem, tell them thats why you have insurance and (((they must come and fix it))). If it needs replacement, dont let them handle the job. Go elsewhere to a reputable company. Get 3 bids. You will need to change the evap coil/Air handler if you replace the outdoor compressor unit.

If memory serves me right, Intercity Gas Products bought the Whirlpool line and branded it Heil-Quaker. Maybe give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Old Villager, I'd guess late 70s, early 80s.
    Thats the one. I've had very good luck with the system. Only had a bad start assist, and a bad evap blower motor. It owes me nothing.

These Units were sold under the Whirlpool, Heil, And Dayton names. The model was the villager and was sold until the early 80's, 84-85. The model numbers started NCABA or NCABO. On the rail, or next to it, that the compressor is mountedto. They used to stamp the model #. If its not rusted away. The air handlers(if its matched were NEBF) The #'s after that were the tonnage. 24 2 ton 29/30 2.5t 34 3ton and so on

The front discharge units were around a long time. Stopped around 1989 when ICG bought Whirlpool and they went to the roundish design.
    Attached Images Attached Images