Thread: 1 lb freon cans

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and know nothing about AC/Refrigeration/HVAC but I though some of you might have an answer to my question.

I'm restoring a 1956 model boat and it has a period correct horn. This horn was meant to have one of those 1 lb freon cans screwed to the bottom. I can no longer get those cans and even if I could, I would probably want to change the horn. I want to adapt it to air pressure but I don't know what the pressure of those 1 bl cans was. Sorry for the long explanation but does anyone know what the pressure of those 1 lb cans was?

Thanks for any replies.

Doesn't R134a come in one pound cans?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Yep about $7.00 a can at wally world

I think it does, but I'm not sure it will fit the screw-on adapter. Also, the cans used to leak very bad and drain themselves.

Originally posted by boatbuoy
    I'm restoring a 1956 model boat and it has a period correct horn. This horn was meant to have one of those 1 lb freon cans screwed to the bottom. I can no longer get those cans and even if I could, I would probably want to change the horn. I want to adapt it to air pressure but I don't know what the pressure of those 1 bl cans was. Sorry for the long explanation but does anyone know what the pressure of those 1 lb cans was?
    Thanks for any replies.
    I assume it would take R-12 cans which were dirt cheap back then. The pressure is easily found on a pressure/temperature chart for R-12. At a summer temp. of 85°F. the pressure would be 92 PSI.

They still sell portable boat horns powered by compressed air (R-134A?). Why don't you see what kind of can connector they use. see link:
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=93587

Thanks snewman, that's exactly what I needed to know.

go to an auto wreckers and get the air pump out of a cad seville, or any big cad or lincoln town car, they come equipped with a small air compressor for the load leveling feature . usually mounted on the left front fender.

put one of those in and you could blow your horn all day long

Along with pressure the density of the gas will have an effect on the noise the diaphgram will make. You may have to change the diaphgran to get a decient sound.
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

snipe70e, good point. I hadn't thought of that.