+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Over cooking PORK. Why??

Post Likes

Over cooking PORK. Why??

Some of you I know are with me and have been cooking pork like this for years but some may not.

I get so tired of eating over cooked pork at various places and hearing people say "You have to cook pork until its done" Ok , but not till its gasping for air.

You can pull pork off the heat when it reaches a temp as low as 145*F. I pull mine off at the majic # of 153*F. My wife has always been fed pork over cooked and dried out and when she met me I introduced her to pork cooked the right way....with juices running out when she cut into it.

Don't be afraid people. Once you eat your pork the right way you will never go back to eating shoe leather again.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

Post Likes
    my dad overcooks pork and is deathly scared if juices are running out of it.
    "you are going to get trichinosis" He grew up butchering there own meat and yes then Trich was common with underdone pork because they feed the pigs everything and anything. Now with standards in farming pigs are feed a stable diet and the amount of cases from farm raised hogs is very low.

Post Likes
    YW - Understable as my family grew up butchering our own beef. Some people will never change. My father and I have been doing whole hog roast for hire on the side for the past 8 years and I could not think of a better tasting product then dabbing some bread of your choice on some crackle! Im getting hungry just talking about it. We don't have any customers this month but in July we have 3 weddings to do. They are a hit but one thing i have noticed is people tend to eat way too much too fast and choke. I have had to perform the "hineylik" manuver 6 or 7 times in the past. I love a good steak but i would eat a marinaded tenderloin from pig or deer anyday over beef.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

Post Likes
    I finally nailed a pork roast a couple of days ago.

Marinated it and slow roasted it with a brown sugar glaze.

Damn that was good.

People overcook everything.

Post Likes
    The difference between a commercial grade cut of pork sold by most butchers and grocery stores, and an old lard hog is amazing. I have kin in KY that raise old style hogs and make country ham and sausage from it.
    When I am up there I always make sure to bring back some chops to fry.
    Better taste and texture.

Post Likes
    Because of parasites predominant in pork, pork is not safe unless a temperature hot enough to kill those parasites is reached. We used to believe that pork needed to have an internal temperature of 180 degrees but have reduced that now to 160 degrees.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Because of parasites predominant in pork, pork is not safe unless a temperature hot enough to kill those parasites is reached. We used to believe that pork needed to have an internal temperature of 180 degrees but have reduced that now to 160 degrees.
    Actually, according to the USDA it is 145 degrees F.
    They changed that recently.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    Actually, according to the USDA it is 145 degrees F.
    They changed that recently.
    That's good to know. I have been happy with pork not having to be 180, so it's good to know that there is a buffer zone between what I am good with and what is acceptable.

While I don't usually like any foods overcooked, I do have a liking for overcooked bacon and thin pork chops overcooked. I only like fat when it is crunchy.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Next new trend ------------------bacon sushi ! Yum!

Post Likes
    Overcooked pork is the norm, I pretty much gave up on ordering it from anywhere. BBQ in general is usually over done and dry. I do at least 12 hours on roasts and 8 hours on ribs. I just did a 14 hour pork shoulder, you could place a butter knife on it and it would sink all the way down by virtue of its own weight, Dayyyum!

Post Likes
    wanting to grill some center lion chops-- any suggestions
    It is what it is unless I say differently !!!!

Post Likes
    I am a fan of stuffing them and then grilling.

Post Likes
    Maybe someone can telll me why people boil ribs before they cook them?

Usually I just put some spices on, slather on the dause and put them under the broiler for about 25 mins. Take them out and you can pull the bones right off of the meat. Then you have a rib steak. So why the boiling?

Post Likes
    We always had apple sauce on the table whenever we ate pork. you New England guys should remember that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Harper View Post

Usually I just put some spices on, slather on the dause and put them under the broiler for about 25 mins. Take them out and you can pull the bones right off of the meat. Then you have a rib steak. So why the boiling?
    The wife is good for that.

Boil them until they are WAY overdone then drop them on the grill and smear them with sauce.

She doesn't have the patience to slow cook them on the grill and not even close to the patience required to use the smoker.

Post Likes

Better yet,, Try soaking them in salt water overnight. Then set the oven to 200-210 completely cover them with a mixture of Butter, Honey (and lots of it) and brown sugar. Cover with aluminum foil and leave it alone for 2 hours.

Place them on the grill and coat them with a mixture of sweet baby rays and jack daniels BBQ sauce. Grill'em just enough to get the flavor of the grill, 10 minutes per side.

Yum

Post Likes

Because they don't know how to grill - they slap them on a grill right over HOT coals and cook the juices out of them
    put the coals (gray) to the SIDES and the meat in the middle keep the temp 200/225* lot of hard wood chips (fresh or wetted) for smoke imho
    Don't annoy the combat veteran!!!!
    All gave some - Some gave ALL

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    Better yet,, Try soaking them in salt water overnight. Then set the oven to 200-210 completely cover them with a mixture of Butter, Honey (and lots of it) and brown sugar. Cover with aluminum foil and leave it alone for 2 hours.

Place them on the grill and coat them with a mixture of sweet baby rays and jack daniels BBQ sauce. Grill'em just enough to get the flavor of the grill, 10 minutes per side.

Yum
    That sounds tasty...may try that but instead of the oven maybe my electric smoker. I don't like running the stove for that long in the summer

Post Likes
    Alot people would boil them first to make them tender and finish them on the grill.
    The traditional way to do it is like how Chris W. explained it but without the salt brine (not that its not a good idea).

My father and I do it the oppisite . We will grill it first with hot coals on the side for 5 min on each side then butter it with your choice of BBQ or your favorite coating and grill for another 5 on each side then pull them , cover them and bake for 2 to 3 hrs depending how many racks to have. We like it this way because they like to fall apart on the grill the other way.

PaPa Jo --wanting to grill some center lion chops-- any suggestions .
    Papa -- I like to marinade mine in 1cup of vinegar -- 3Tbl of extra virgin OO. 2Tbl of chipotle powder -- 1/2 Tbl of Brown sugar -- 1 Tbl Tyme (dry or fresh). for at least 8 hrs or more. Cook on a medium heat grill till 150F.

Poodle Head Mikey is online now Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    They have to remove all the taste from the meat somehow - and boiling is one of the better methods to accomplish that.

BTW: turn off that broiler, use an overnight dry rub, and then set the oven for 200 and the timer for 3-4 hours.

PHM
    ------

Last edited by Poodle Head Mikey; 06-11-2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: had my oven too high
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in