Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    We always had apple sauce on the table whenever we ate pork. you New England guys should remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Harper View Post
    Maybe someone can telll me why people boil ribs before they cook them?

Usually I just put some spices on, slather on the dause and put them under the broiler for about 25 mins. Take them out and you can pull the bones right off of the meat. Then you have a rib steak. So why the boiling?
    The wife is good for that.

Boil them until they are WAY overdone then drop them on the grill and smear them with sauce.

She doesn't have the patience to slow cook them on the grill and not even close to the patience required to use the smoker.

Usually I just put some spices on, slather on the dause and put them under the broiler for about 25 mins. Take them out and you can pull the bones right off of the meat. Then you have a rib steak. So why the boiling?
    Better yet,, Try soaking them in salt water overnight. Then set the oven to 200-210 completely cover them with a mixture of Butter, Honey (and lots of it) and brown sugar. Cover with aluminum foil and leave it alone for 2 hours.

Place them on the grill and coat them with a mixture of sweet baby rays and jack daniels BBQ sauce. Grill'em just enough to get the flavor of the grill, 10 minutes per side.

Yum

Because they don't know how to grill - they slap them on a grill right over HOT coals and cook the juices out of them
    put the coals (gray) to the SIDES and the meat in the middle keep the temp 200/225* lot of hard wood chips (fresh or wetted) for smoke imho
    Don't annoy the combat veteran!!!!
    All gave some - Some gave ALL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    Better yet,, Try soaking them in salt water overnight. Then set the oven to 200-210 completely cover them with a mixture of Butter, Honey (and lots of it) and brown sugar. Cover with aluminum foil and leave it alone for 2 hours.

Place them on the grill and coat them with a mixture of sweet baby rays and jack daniels BBQ sauce. Grill'em just enough to get the flavor of the grill, 10 minutes per side.

Yum
    That sounds tasty...may try that but instead of the oven maybe my electric smoker. I don't like running the stove for that long in the summer

Alot people would boil them first to make them tender and finish them on the grill.
    The traditional way to do it is like how Chris W. explained it but without the salt brine (not that its not a good idea).

My father and I do it the oppisite . We will grill it first with hot coals on the side for 5 min on each side then butter it with your choice of BBQ or your favorite coating and grill for another 5 on each side then pull them , cover them and bake for 2 to 3 hrs depending how many racks to have. We like it this way because they like to fall apart on the grill the other way.

PaPa Jo --wanting to grill some center lion chops-- any suggestions .
    Papa -- I like to marinade mine in 1cup of vinegar -- 3Tbl of extra virgin OO. 2Tbl of chipotle powder -- 1/2 Tbl of Brown sugar -- 1 Tbl Tyme (dry or fresh). for at least 8 hrs or more. Cook on a medium heat grill till 150F.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

They have to remove all the taste from the meat somehow - and boiling is one of the better methods to accomplish that.

BTW: turn off that broiler, use an overnight dry rub, and then set the oven for 200 and the timer for 3-4 hours.

PHM
    ------

Last edited by Poodle Head Mikey; 06-11-2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: had my oven too high
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Obama is going to place a moratorium on all pork in the United States because it offends the muzzies....he and Bloomberg are conspiring for a pig free America and for more room to grow muzzies.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Since I'm from the pork capital of the world I neither jump in... Hey the vein screaming hot... That's step 1 core everything.... Throw it on there, 1/4 turn once, flip it, turn down to low 1/4 torn after Few minutes, then I wait until 150 center temp. Plenty juicy as long as it's 1.5 to 2" thick. If thinner, keep bell on high and pull off sooner. Same with chicken but to 165f. They keep cooking after you pull it.

Beef Steaks get cooked the same except they get turned sooner and you may have to get a feel for when med rate is on your grill. Sooner better than later

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Especially since they have ruined pork now

Pork used to be full of yummy pork fat but now that the food nazis have promoted all the low fat horse poop most of the fat has apparently been bred out of pork. To make it worth a darn now you have to brine all pork and then cook it close to rare. Otherwise it's pretty much worthless as a food product.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Since I'm from the pork capital of the world I neither jump in... Hey the vein screaming hot... That's step 1 core everything.... Throw it on there, 1/4 turn once, flip it, turn down to low 1/4 torn after Few minutes, then I wait until 150 center temp. Plenty juicy as long as it's 1.5 to 2" thick. If thinner, keep bell on high and pull off sooner. Same with chicken but to 165f. They keep cooking after you pull it.

Beef Steaks get cooked the same except they get turned sooner and you may have to get a feel for when med rate is on your grill. Sooner better than later

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Obama is going to place a moratorium on all pork in the United States because it offends the muzzies....he and Bloomberg are conspiring for a pig free America and for more room to grow muzzies.
    Even the food threads have to go ARP and political,some of you guys are obsessed!

On Parboiling......A sin by the way......Just go low and slow

And Because Joe

Some folks are in too much of a damn hurry

Totally agree. Use a meat thermometer, people. You won't overcook stuff.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast