Thread: Unsafe Work?

Unsafe Work?

I just started a new job that's a good mix of residential, commercial and some industrial. Great company great people.

I took a call today to check on the exhaust fans and make up air on a flat roof and some on a sloped roof. I found the make air unit belt was just spinning with too big a belt and two of the mushrooms needed new belts. So I found the problem right? No one had time to answer any questions and were MIA just after I got there. The company didn't say call so and so either for details.

They call back no air is being exhausted. This time they tell me there is a pretty big exhaust fan that they built a structure around on the peak of the sloped roof. I've been on hundreds of roofs and changed thousands of filters and belts. While I've seen exhaust fans on sloped roofs most have had a platform built around them but never had a structure built around.

I need to bring a step ladder up on the roof and try and set it on far side where the ladder sets the best. Once on top of the structure I have to pull the ladder into the opening so I can get in and out again which ended up being a problem. Its a 6 hp motor running on 460 3 phase and it must weigh 65-70 pounds at least. After I pulled the motor I barely got out of there. My thoughts were if something happened no one would know.

Would you consider this a safe work condition?

Thanks

Carry a cell phone with you , Let the people at the site know that youll be up there and for approx how long.....If you feel that bad about it get a second tech

Quote Originally Posted by lovecoldair View Post
    Carry a cell phone with you , Let the people at the site know that youll be up there and for approx how long.....If you feel that bad about it get a second tech
    this X2
    At our co if we see it may be a difficult job we call the office and tell them we are heading up...then call again when we are down. Several times they have called 2 hrs into the job to make sure I am still ok.

DEFIANTLY carry a cell phone. I have mine set for voice dialing not for ease of use but so if i am hurt i just need to open it and say "OFFICE" and it calls the office the same goes with "911"

"Would you consider this a safe work condition?"

Different people consider different things unsafe. If you feel it's unsafe then it's unsafe. I would get another tech and wear a harness.

Quote Originally Posted by adam_s05 View Post
    "Would you consider this a safe work condition?"

Different people consider different things unsafe. If you feel it's unsafe then it's unsafe. I would get another tech and wear a harness.

I agree with all the above suggestions and would like to add one more...

You need to advise your office of this, as it often they are unaware

I have never understood why some techs feel that they have to risk their life because what ever is under contract.

I was with a company that used a ductjack, which was in a trailer shimmed with wood on one side, to lift a 7.5Tgas pack to a roof.
    I helped with the unloading of the unit, the shimming of the trailer, the placing of the unit on the ductjack.
    And when they started cranking it up in the air, I stepped back about 40 feet. Boss asked me why I wasn't helping.
    I said, "You ain't paying me enough to die.".
    I didn't last too long at that company.

6 HP Motor you need help, that thing needs to be roped down. Me I would have a small sign crane lift it up to at least roof top level.
    go on line and look up the weight. I had a 7.5 HP weigh in at 160 LBS.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Went to help another tech one time to replace a motor on a unit in a ceiling 15' off the floor. motor was about 100lbs.

Don't recall how he was planning to get it up there. I got out my 50' pc rope, two pulleys and a pc chain off my truck. lifted it up easily and just had to slide the bolts in the holes.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

I went back today with the new motor and a helper.

I appreciate all the responses very very much.

You need to read up on working in an enclosed/confined spaces!! If you pass out from heat, lack of fit air to breath, injury, the most sophisticated cell phone isn't going to save you.

Never be afraid to ask for an extra hand or safety gear...no company or super worth their salt would object.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon