chiller flow switch - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    if you go differential mount the switch on the wall and pipe over to the taps the pump and water in the pipes willl make even more problems...if not on the walll...saw those resistance flow switches were they sense water flow and you set the sensitivity with the pumps on and then cycle for brake...saw them on a hostital York chiller MER job never again...swetting flow switch is always fun on the chiller side
    The Yorkies definitely know more about this than me, but I think they have been using the electronic flow sensors for a little while. We also have a hospital we take care of with a bunch of big YK's and they all have it. I have also seen some air handlers that measure return and outside airflow using these sensors.

I think the term they are using for them is "thermal dispersion sensor". I could be wrong, but as I understand it, there's a heater in the probe, and the controller keeps track of the heater temperature and the heat loss from the probe. It compares the two and determines whether flow is present.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayguy
    my recommendation too. oh...never use a dp switch across a pump to prove flow...look at a pump curve chart...at 0 gpm you have maximum pressure differential.

Quote Originally Posted by y7turbo View Post
    Your post is making me wonder why I see them ALL the time on the pump.
    Because JAYGUY scenario only happens if somebody CLOSED the shutoff discharge valve.
    If we evolve from the monkey then why are there still monkeys.

GOD Bless America.

There are lots of different scenarios where a pump could be dead-heading without someone physically closing the discharge valve. If you're trying to prove flow through a heat exchanger, the only way to do it with a DP is with the differential across the heat exchanger.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by kelvin View Post
    ...Because JAYGUY scenario only happens if somebody CLOSED the shutoff discharge valve.
    guess what...you have just pointed out a scenario where the dp switch on a pump is a poor choice...also...

the 2 way valves are not opening (or at the very least: not enough 2 way valves are opening), chiller isolation valves not opened far enough, strainers get plugged up or partially plugged, etc.

there are lots of things that can cause LOW FLOW...it does not have to be NO FLOW to cause a problem.
    You either love bacon or you are wrong.

4 gallons of gas, 2 miles of travel, teaching my daughters how to drive in the high school parking lot...priceless!

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 06-27-2013 at 09:55 PM.

NukeTech

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12