Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The only way I would buy a pickup truck is if I worked on a ranch. Guess I'd have to get a cowboy hat and a gun rack too.
    R2B4BTU

http://www.cargobody.com

I think it is cool. Check out how you can take the whole thing off just like that. These guys are super to deal with too. I called them a hundred times already. Theyd eserve a look at. I want to plug them a little. Tell em you were reffered from this site. Maybe the site can gain some revenue from these guys advertising on here.

Never owned a van, always service truck. F-250 thru F-550 with utility beds or caps. Knapehide or IMT.
    I have been in the trade for over 30 years and have good reasons not to use a van. Just a few:

SAFETY: WOULD ANY OF YOU THINK ABOUT KEEPING REFIGERANT
    AND TORCHES IN YOUR CLOSED UP BEDROOM. REMEMBER THAT REFRIGERANT DISPLACES THE OXYGEN. HOW ABOUT A LEAKER WITH THE WINDOWS UP AND DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD? YOU WOULD GO TO SLEEP, PROBABLY FOR GOOD AFTER THE WRECK.

HAVE ANY OF YOU EVER SEEN A TIN CAN ""VAN"" THAT HAS WRECKED? ALL TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT WILL WIND UP ON TOP OF YOU.

PROFESIONAL APPEARANCE: EVERY HACK AND GASSER OWNS A
    VAN.

??? D.O.T. AND O.S.H.A VIOLATIONS ???

had that type of cap on ford ranger in early 80s hated working out of it. full size might not be as bad. had open utility for last 20 yrs. just bought e-350 with knapheide enclosed body. so far seems nice to work out of.

Originally posted by engine chiller
    Never owned a van, always service truck. F-250 thru F-550 with utility beds or caps. Knapehide or IMT.
    I have been in the trade for over 30 years and have good reasons not to use a van. Just a few:

AND TORCHES IN YOUR CLOSED UP BEDROOM. REMEMBER THAT REFRIGERANT DISPLACES THE OXYGEN. HOW ABOUT A LEAKER WITH THE WINDOWS UP AND DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD? YOU WOULD GO TO SLEEP, PROBABLY FOR GOOD AFTER THE WRECK.

HAVE ANY OF YOU EVER SEEN A TIN CAN ""VAN"" THAT HAS WRECKED? ALL TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT WILL WIND UP ON TOP OF YOU.

VAN.

This is the best reason not to own a truck in my opinion.

VAN.

Someones paranoid.

How many wrecks do you get in??

Originally posted by James 3528

VAN.

This is the best reason not to own a truck in my opinion.
    I don't understand what you are saying there, James. Because everything in a van could kill you, that is the reason you use them? Guess I am just not following your reasoning here.

Everybody has things they like and don't like. So I don't really give a **** what somebody else drives. I use what works best for me. Besides vans are a dime a dozen. Maybe should start using PT crusiers.

A truck running residential and commercial service is for a guy that does not know if he wants to do that or go hunting. Read 2 hots post.

I have never seen the benefit of offering up your tools and freon to the general public for free not to mention the weather. You need to go check out the price on a V8 Triton E250 with a bin package if you think they are a dime a dozen.

Couple year old vans are a dime a dozen- no resale value.

Bins are free if you buy with a commercial account.
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Nothing is free and a couple year old commercial anything doesn't have a high resale. You don't look at the resale on a commercial vehicle.

Well first of all I dont hunt. And this is a work truck. I have another I could drive if I wanted to try my hand going hunting.

Secondly, not offering a thing up to the less honest people among our citizens.

If you notice, it has a full metal cap, locking doors, the pic does not show the ladder rack that is there as well.

Maybe where you work you do not need 4WD, but for some of our jobs it is madatory. I have even had to plow the jobsites out so we can go to work.

You need to check out the price of a F250, Plow, and a ARE Cap. I could buy a Ford 3/4 ton van for a lot less. But I chose to use a truck, it works well for what I do. Primarily residential.

thanks I appreciate everyones opinions please keep them comming
    Dow I need to find out if that setup is available in Canada thanks and awsome setup too

www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

I get a kick out of the differant opinions. I have used utility boxes over vans being all the friends with vans end up with stuff piled on the floor. Now getting parts out of the boxes of a utility box is easy but as far as overall covered space , would think van has more. Never bought a cover for the bed on a utility box being I heard those are a pain. Anyone carry something like a Job box in the back of a utility bed? How did you hook it in so you could get it out easy when you want? I like the looks of those fiberglass slide in topers that were shown.......currious how much they are . I see Comfort Systems USA is getting rid of all their regular size vans to the smaller vans. Those ones seem biger them mini vans but not as big as standard size. Guess how they hold up will only be told over time. I know a lot only say buy USA but Im wondering when Toyota will build vans. From what I see Toyota lasts and then you get good milage. I see there making a little larger
    Ok so someone tell me a few of their tricks to get more space out of their utility boxes, such as extra boxes. does anyone have any better setup like the job boxes? I have the flip up tops so I cant add boxes on top of the sides, that may have been a mistake ordering it that way. I was going to put a tommy lift on the back but dont want the extra weight. Im only a heavy 3/4 ton chevy 4x4 and as much as I carry Im pretty well loaded if I start throwing a furnace an ac in the back. The tommy lift would be handy but I have been told I'm pretty well at my limit a lot of times right now without puting that on too.

[Edited by dec on 10-02-2005 at 02:17 PM]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast