Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Would all you guys out there fill me in on the pros and cons of a pick up truck for Commercial HVAC service the ones with a canopy style Thanks
    Secondly Ford chev dodge nissan toyota full sized pus
    good bad ugly? thinking extended cab short box
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Ran two enclosed (utility) style pickups over the years. Never really cared for them. Had an open utility for a while and HATED it.

I still like vans and cubes.

thanks Dave but what do you mean by enclosed utility

I'm thinking pickup ext cab with canopy and flip up doors on either side as well as doors at the back, My idea is to have shelves accessible through the side doors with parts, the back of the cab for bins with some tools in and the books. open the rear doors to get to the weld tank nitro and freon /reclaim etc
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Oh. You're referring to a conventional pickup with a cap.

Gotcha. I know some electricians that swear by them.

THIS is an enclosed utility.

THIS is an open utility

I think this is what you're looking at...

thanks dave the third one is the thing I'm thinking of
    I've got to the point where I feel I know exactly what parts and tools I need to carry to get the work done fast, correctly, and minmise trips to the suppliers without carrying excessive inventory or tools
    I'm thinking it would be a good set up

Monday I wil tell you things you need to know about trucks. Stay tuned.

I doubt I could work out of one for very long.

I like to have as many resources as possible at my disposal.

But, I do NOT work local, and I am often miles (of heavy traffic) from a wholesaler, and am almost NEVER close enough to the shop to run for tools...

i understand dave Ive seen photos of your truck you have just about everything kinda like a mini supplier shop

More tools than parts and materials, really.

I've thinned it down a lot, though, since the gas prices skyrocketed. Got 'er running at damn near 12 mpg now...

Not carrying the 125 pounders as regular stock anymore, went to the small oxy-acetylene.

Took out the spare meter duffel (There went 400 pounds. )
    and some other duplicates. The threaders aren't in there anymore unless needed...

If I ONLY did supermarkets, I could PROBABLY get away with one of those, though...

I work out of a truck and a 14' Cargo Trailer.

Here is a pic of my old truck. The new one is exactly the same, except its a F250.

I like working out a truck, plus it is 4WD and has a plow, so that helps with the Northern Michigan winters.

Not quite as handy as a van, but I cant get to any jobsite with it.

Just picked up a 4WD S-10, going to get a cap for that as well, and use it mainly for service and sales calls. Just to help with the gas mileage. Generally for installs, I am leaving the trailer at the site, so the guys can work out of it, and all they need is to drive the other S10.

Hope that helps.

That pickup with a cap kinda looks like a van, so why not just get a van?
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Originally posted by neophytes serendipity
    That pickup with a cap kinda looks like a van, so why not just get a van?
    The black one above? Looks like a van?!!!!

thanks cris I like your cap, two doors on each side? and raised at the rear

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast