+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I was given some beef liver.....

Post Likes

I was given some beef liver.....

The secretary at the office get beef by the half cow. In her order was the liver also. She asked me if i wanted it as she did not. I am always willing to try new food and new things to cook so i agreed to take them.
    I have only eaten it once and it did not taste very good. But who knows how much the USAF actual went into preparing it right. The only way i have been told how to cook them is let it set in milk for 45 min to extract some of the strong taste. cook in a skillet with butter and onions.
    So i guess i am asking...

What ways do you prefer and prepare beef liver?

Post Likes
    The few times I've made liver, I did it this way.

Slice it THIN. Chilling it almost to the point of crystallization helps this.

Dredge it in a seasoned flour. Not overpowering seasoning, a little salt and pepper is adequate.

Fry it in HOT oil and don't overcook it.

A side of fried mushrooms and/or caramelized onions is a nice touch

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    The few times I've made liver, I did it this way.

Slice it THIN. Chilling it almost to the point of crystallization helps this.

Dredge it in a seasoned flour. Not overpowering seasoning, a little salt and pepper is adequate.

Fry it in HOT oil and don't overcook it.

A side of fried mushrooms and/or caramelized onions is a nice touch
    I agree, slice it thin. That way it fits over a treble hook and does not actually block the barbs. Beef liver is good fish-bait.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

Post Likes
    I soak it in milk and fry it in butter. I do the fried onions separatly and pile them on top when I serve it. Make a gravy with the pan dripping and a little of the milk. And you diffinately have to have mashed potatoes with this meal.

This is not a meal for the calorie conscience.

Post Likes
    Try boiling it, all kinds of stuff comes out Then pan fry with olive oil, pepper ect. Mashed potatoes.... um good.

Post Likes
    Mom made liver and onions quite often when I was a kid. I didn't care much for it then, but I get cravings for it now that I'm older. It was always pan fried with white onions and she made mashed potatoes with it.

It's definitely a taste you either love or hate.

Sign petition to limit Congressional and Senatorial terms. http://www.termlimits.org/

"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."--Martin Luther King Jr.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrk8r View Post
    ...It's definitely a taste you either love or hate.
    Liver lovers seldom marry.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Post Likes
    Boil it, then grind and mix with flour and eggs, and spoon onto a baking sheet. Makes great dog biscuits. Other than that use it for catfish bait or fill it with rat poison and feed it to cats. This is meat not fit for human consumption.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    I happen to like it. (My Neanderthal heritage.) It is a great source of cholesterol.
    However, chicken livers are disgusting. Go figure.
    Taste is clearly a matter of taste.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Post Likes
    two words -blood filter - would you eat a dirty air filter?
    Don't annoy the combat veteran!!!!
    All gave some - Some gave ALL

Post Likes
    How about on a smoker? Never tried that.

Brian

Post Likes
    Organ meats are very high in nutrients, our ancestors ate them before they would eat the so called prime cuts.
    Heart, liver and brains were particularly prized.

Now that I've offended tender modern sensibilities.

I've only had liver pan fried. Nice with carmelized onions.
    Liver this way has a strong taste. It takes some getting used to.
    I'll order it occasionally at some diners that serve it. Perhaps 5 times in the last 30 years.

BTW, my dad had fond memories of scrambled eggs and brains.
    I don't have any idea on how the brains were prepared.
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by allan38 View Post
    BTW, my dad had fond memories of scrambled eggs and brains.
    I don't have any idea on how the brains were prepared.
    We raised and butchered a pig once upon a time. An old Polish fellow took the brain and scrambled it up with some eggs. It was actually pretty good.

While we are on the subject. Do anyone know how to make GOOD liver pate' ?

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Boil it, then grind and mix with flour and eggs, and spoon onto a baking sheet. Makes great dog biscuits. Other than that use it for catfish bait or fill it with rat poison and feed it to cats. This is meat not fit for human consumption.
    And this coming from a guy that would eat the nutz right off the poor moo cow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    Do anyone know how to make GOOD liver pate' ?
    there is whole bunch of them... but you gotta have the right tools, that is a terrine - best - or a small enameled cast iron pot (Creuset) and, very important, the "four spices" (Quatre ιpices)

I dont know if you see in the pic, the terrine has a small hole to let the steam out.. if you use a pot put a toothpick in btw the pot and lid..

This is my fav. I use 4 spices instead of allspice.
    Here's to get an idea how is made. (i use bacon slices for wrapping, not that fat). When is done, let it cool a bit and put a weight on top of it for a couple of hours - it gives a nice shape and seals the moisture in - then take out of the pot.

Here's a simple receipe, quite good. Forget about the nutmeg, use 4 spices..
    .. here's another one, i didn't try it (i hate curry!)
    Well, you get the idea, just experiment... liver is cheap (good cognac is not)

... and the real McCoy but it will cost you an arm and a leg..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
    there is whole bunch of them... but you gotta have the right tools, that is a terrine - best - or a small enameled cast iron pot (Creuset) and, very important, the "four spices" (Quatre ιpices)

I dont know if you see in the pic, the terrine has a small hole to let the steam out.. if you use a pot put a toothpick in btw the pot and lid..

This is my fav. I use 4 spices instead of allspice.
    Here's to get an idea how is made. (i use bacon slices for wrapping, not that fat). When is done, let it cool a bit and put a weight on top of it for a couple of hours - it gives a nice shape and seals the moisture in - then take out of the pot.

Here's a simple receipe, quite good. Forget about the nutmeg, use 4 spices..
    .. here's another one, i didn't try it (i hate curry!)
    Well, you get the idea, just experiment... liver is cheap (good cognac is not)

... and the real McCoy but it will cost you an arm and a leg..
    Thanks for the comeback. I never realized that it was so involved. There is a local restuarant that makes a delicious pate. They even sell it by the pound to take out. The recipe is a closely guarded secret. Maybe I'll give them a run for their money.

Post Likes

Pate'

My ex wife "The Barracuda" used to make pate' all the time. Used all kinds of spices, and wine and stuff. Everyone said it was great, but I thought it was kind of like scraping the rust off an old rusty piece of iron and putting it on a cracker and eating it. YUCK! I'll stick with smoked salmon and sturgeon,,,,,,,,,,,
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Post Likes
    with the heat finally cooling down I felt like cooking up the liver.
    I cooked it like you would Salisbury steak.
    um....
    It was ok. I can see why some people would enjoy it. The texture was very smooth and not tough at all. But the taste was...different. I cant say I did not like it but i cant say i would ever crave it.

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    Post Likes
    Ketchup makes it all better.

Post Likes
    put it in a live trap to catch a fisher cat.

Post Likes

Talking

I cook a couple pieces of bacon first. Then use the bacon grease to fry up the onions. Then cook liver dredged in flour for 2 minutes each side. plate it up and serve with rice or potatos.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in