Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    Do anyone know how to make GOOD liver pate' ?
    there is whole bunch of them... but you gotta have the right tools, that is a terrine - best - or a small enameled cast iron pot (Creuset) and, very important, the "four spices" (Quatre épices)

I dont know if you see in the pic, the terrine has a small hole to let the steam out.. if you use a pot put a toothpick in btw the pot and lid..

This is my fav. I use 4 spices instead of allspice.
    Here's to get an idea how is made. (i use bacon slices for wrapping, not that fat). When is done, let it cool a bit and put a weight on top of it for a couple of hours - it gives a nice shape and seals the moisture in - then take out of the pot.

Here's a simple receipe, quite good. Forget about the nutmeg, use 4 spices..
    .. here's another one, i didn't try it (i hate curry!)
    Well, you get the idea, just experiment... liver is cheap (good cognac is not)

... and the real McCoy but it will cost you an arm and a leg..

Quote Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
    there is whole bunch of them... but you gotta have the right tools, that is a terrine - best - or a small enameled cast iron pot (Creuset) and, very important, the "four spices" (Quatre épices)

I dont know if you see in the pic, the terrine has a small hole to let the steam out.. if you use a pot put a toothpick in btw the pot and lid..

This is my fav. I use 4 spices instead of allspice.
    Here's to get an idea how is made. (i use bacon slices for wrapping, not that fat). When is done, let it cool a bit and put a weight on top of it for a couple of hours - it gives a nice shape and seals the moisture in - then take out of the pot.

Here's a simple receipe, quite good. Forget about the nutmeg, use 4 spices..
    .. here's another one, i didn't try it (i hate curry!)
    Well, you get the idea, just experiment... liver is cheap (good cognac is not)

... and the real McCoy but it will cost you an arm and a leg..
    Thanks for the comeback. I never realized that it was so involved. There is a local restuarant that makes a delicious pate. They even sell it by the pound to take out. The recipe is a closely guarded secret. Maybe I'll give them a run for their money.

Pate'

My ex wife "The Barracuda" used to make pate' all the time. Used all kinds of spices, and wine and stuff. Everyone said it was great, but I thought it was kind of like scraping the rust off an old rusty piece of iron and putting it on a cracker and eating it. YUCK! I'll stick with smoked salmon and sturgeon,,,,,,,,,,,
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

with the heat finally cooling down I felt like cooking up the liver.
    I cooked it like you would Salisbury steak.
    um....
    It was ok. I can see why some people would enjoy it. The texture was very smooth and not tough at all. But the taste was...different. I cant say I did not like it but i cant say i would ever crave it.

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    Ketchup makes it all better.

put it in a live trap to catch a fisher cat.

Talking

I cook a couple pieces of bacon first. Then use the bacon grease to fry up the onions. Then cook liver dredged in flour for 2 minutes each side. plate it up and serve with rice or potatos.

Quote Originally Posted by nonknowitall View Post
    I cook a couple pieces of bacon first. Then use the bacon grease to fry up the onions. Then cook liver dredged in flour for 2 minutes each side. plate it up and serve with rice or potatos.
    Onions and bacon are a must, IMO, when cooking liver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12