Confused Heat Pump Selection Help

I would appreciate any help on selecting a new heat pump system. Mine died earlier this week and It's getting hot.

I've met with three different contractors and have narrowed it down to a Lennox XP17 or a Trane Xli 16. I currently have a 3.5 ton unit. One contractor did a sizing and is recommending a 2.5 ton unit indicating that the load is just a tad over the 2.5 ton and it will help with the humidity. (I live on a lake in Virginia with lots of trees around). One contractor walked through the house but did not run a sizing and is recommending a 3.5 ton. The third contractor who has been servicing my existing unit is recommending the two stage Trane with the 2.66 and 4 ton unit combined. He did not do a sizing or walk through the house. By now I am really confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Most contractors who size "by walking through the house" will oversize. Comfort will suffer. Your old unit may have been oversized.

How was your old unit working until it died? On the hottest and coldest days, how long did it run (On and Off)?

If you old unit was slightly oversized, and if the first contractors load calc was correct, a 3-ton 2-stage might be a nice compromise.

If the load calc was correct and you put in a 4-ton 2-stage like the 3rd guy says, it will rarely (if ever) get out of first stage and you wasted a your money on the 2-stage.
    Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do

Im not sure I know what a "walk through" means for sizing equipment, but here is my advice:

A manual J load calculation MUST be done (according to every local and state code) when choosing equipment size. If the "walk through" included that, then cool... But, if (as I suspect) it does not mean a manual J load calculation then I would advise putting the quotes from those guys/gals aside and searching out more. Only count proposals that are made in conjunction with a ManJ as a valid proposal.

If I am understanding what you have said correctly you really only have one quote. Get two more with load calcs and re-evaluate then. Also, do keep pricing to yourself, but if different contractors get different loads, share the load information from other contractors with the one on site and ask questions as to why there is the difference... It is the same house, in theory they should get the same load... You will be able to gauge a lot about which contractor you want to work with by the answers they give.

BTW, any time a load calc comes up with a bigger than .5 ton difference for me on a home that has not had any additions or other structural changes, I stop to at least verify my work and make sure it makes sense... It may well be right, but it does raise a red flag for me and cause me to double check...

The 3 ton 2 stage option mentioned before sounds reasonable from the information you provided.

Good luck
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

garya505

Thanks Garya505. Do I need to worry about the Brand difference (Lennox vs Trane) regarding reliability and warranty coverages.

Brands are secondary to how comfortable you are with the contractor. The quality of the installation is FAR more important than the brand of the equipment. Ask PLENTY of questions, make sure you are dealing with someone who is willing to answer them, is concerned about making sure your purchase meets your needs, and is willing to do the things required to EARN your business.

Once you have found this person/company then seek out their counsel on which brands will work best for you.
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

Quote Originally Posted by twilkie View Post
    Thanks Garya505. Do I need to worry about the Brand difference (Lennox vs Trane) regarding reliability and warranty coverages.
    Can't comment on Lennox vs Trane, but my guess is reliability is very close, so as a homeowner I would take a good look at the warranty coverage and length.

Using proper lineset installation and charging methods is very important. If you want to have some fun (and get more confused), ask your prospective contractors what procedure they use. I've compiled a list of "best practices" for that.