Elevator HVAC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elevator HVAC

Elevator HVAC

I have a customer who wants to provide some cooling to his elevator shaft here in Tucson, AZ. Some of the ideas at the shop have been to Duct a package unit to the shaft or to install a small a/c system on the car. My idea is to put exhaust fans on the top of the shaft which is only 2 1/2 stories high and vent to warm air out while drawing conditioned air in from the space. Is this a valid plan or is there something I am missing?

Make up air for exhaust should be drawn into lowest point and not short circuit from the upper floors.

Fire codes can't be ignored so you'll have to address them too.

Building pressurization could be impacted and may need to be managed.

The cooling load added my the makeup air load would/should be imposed on the entire systems cooling capacity and may or may not be worth addressing.

HELLOW I LIVED IN AZ FOR 27 YEARS WERE I WORKED IN HVACR HOOYUA I NOW LIVE IN OHIO DOING HVACR ,STILL HOLD MY JURNYMAN LICENS FOR AZ ..WHEN IWAS OUT THERE HAD TO WORK ON ELEVATOR AC MOUNTED AND CONTROLLED ON TOP OF THE CARS AT TIMES HAD HAVE ELEVATER CO MEET ME ALSO THE MAKE UNITS FOR THE SHAFTS AND OR THE CARS ,I INJOYED THE WORK THERE ..MISS THE SUN.

please turn your CAPS off...it appears you are yelling and very hard to read.

i gues i need glases i do carry a magnafine glasss to read schematics

David,

What type and brand of air conditioner did they use on the cab of the elevator?

Quote Originally Posted by mcguire07 View Post
    I have a customer who wants to provide some cooling to his elevator shaft here in Tucson, AZ. Some of the ideas at the shop have been to Duct a package unit to the shaft or to install a small a/c system on the car. My idea is to put exhaust fans on the top of the shaft which is only 2 1/2 stories high and vent to warm air out while drawing conditioned air in from the space. Is this a valid plan or is there something I am missing?
    Just finished a 3 story building in Tuba city AZ. It had 2 elevator shafts and a mechanical room on each floor. The two lower mechanical rooms had airhandlers (1.5t)in them to cool the hydraulic equipment and controls. Each shaft, 2 total had relief vents in the top(24"x24"). The door openings at each floor were not gasketed to give a 100% seal to the floors. It would be a waste to condition the shafts due to the continuous intake and relief from the car movements. The cars were comfortable.
    You could possibly use the shafts to be a relief vent for your outdoor air requirements.Or put a mini split on top of the cars.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

ACFIXR,

These are elevators located in our parking garage and they are extremly hot here in the deep south. I was thinking about utilizing something along the lines of a mini split and/or RV style air conditioning if that is possible. Has anyone done this before?

Quote Originally Posted by cobitech View Post
    ACFIXR,

These are elevators located in our parking garage and they are extremly hot here in the deep south. I was thinking about utilizing something along the lines of a mini split and/or RV style air conditioning if that is possible. Has anyone done this before?
    The problem with moving cars is the electrical.
    Have not done it that way so no help from me.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Cool

deleted
    Last edited by superfittertech; 08-11-2011 at 07:58 PM.

I don't have much experience working multi-level buildings, but have a two story school with a question:
    Is there any "Code" reason why a supply air takeoff cannot be simply dumped into the elevator shaft, when there is a correctly sized 'relief' damper at the top of the shaft?

That would allow the shaft to remain positively-pressurized all the time, and air conditioned, without any strange needs for electrical or refrigerant lines feeding a mini-split riding on top of the car.
    The RTU providing air to the hallway already, has a supply duct right there in the ceiling plenum of both the first and second floors, easy to grab a takeoff...and the RTU is already setup to bring in 25% outside air, and to shut down in case of a fire alarm, and a fire damper could be installed in the opening for the shaft supply diffuser, so spreading smoke is a non-issue.

My glance at one reference sounds like they expect a 100% outside air dedicated unit to be sitting around waiting for a fire, so it can turn on and dump air into the shaft only when needed. Or a fan to turn on and dump raw outside air in for positive pressure during a fire. This appears to be a silly waste of money, and doesn't help air condition the shaft.
    Anyone have experience with this issue?

We have one RTU feeding supply air into the elevator landings and a return air inlet at the top of the elevator shaft going back to the unit along with return air ducts from the elevator landings. This is in the parking garage structure that is also attached to the main part of the building structure. This work good for that particular set of elevators.

I believe the code is that you cannot use any duct system, or pipe system that serves another area into an elevator shaft or machine room (no running of water pipes up the shaft to another floor, no VAV units serving other areas and the elevator, etc). They are supposed to be dedicated to serving the elevator or machine room only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast