What does it take to add a device onto an existing network? The customer has Eikon on the pc and I understand that is used to program the controllers logic. I think I can work through that but I would appreciate a copy of the Eikon programmming guide if someone has it. What additional software is needed to incorporate the device into the network such as adding points to the database etc? Can this be done through WebCtrl or should I expect to find the software in the same location as Eikon?

Any help would be appreciated. Amigo - feel free to provide any pertinent literature. Thanks - Dan

The program called Site Builder is used to add controlers and equipment to the job. If you open the project database (C://webctrl#/webroot/projectname) you can look how it is setup. To add a controller, on the right hand side you will see a tree with the router and the modules attached to it underneath. You will need to add the correct type of module to the network tree.
    On the left side is the building/equipment tree. You would then add the new equipment to this tree. Whenn you add a piece of equipment, it will prompt you for the control program to use. If there is already a similar program, you can reuse the existing program.
    The last step is to assign the equipment to the controller. Just drag the equipment to the controller.
    Once you restart the webcrtl server, log in and go to the CFG button, then select downloads. The new module shoul be in the download list. Press download and if the module is correctly adressed and wired to the network, the program will download to the module.

All the webctrl help files should be installed on the server if you need then. Hit the start-->webcrtl-->help and every program's help files are in there. They are pretty thourough for a new user.

dap, Jeff pretty well said it all.
    help files are pretty good.
    I also have put some manuals in your inbox.
    I am not sure how current they are, but always a good base.
    Eikon for supervision is the predecessor to eikon for WebCTRL, very similar. That is for just in case you come across supervision.

Thanks Amigo for the files. I checked the customer's system today and found Site Builder. I started the program and tried to open the database but got a message about 'another application is using that file.... etc'. Do I need to shut down the database first and how do I go about shutting it down and restarting it? At this point I am only interested in looking at the network structure etc.

Yes, shut the webctrl server program down then you can open the database. The web server may be set-up as a windows service.

yeah,if I remember correctly you can launch site builder in view or limited functionality mode right from webctrl server application. The server application would be one of the icons on active tray (I think it is called "core" while running), once double clicked you will get a pop screen with some options. It has been a while since i worked on Webctrl.
    Alternatively, you could stop webctrl server, launch site builder, once done, restart webctrl server. all apps are normally under c:\webCTRLx.
    sitebuilder database is password protected so you need the right stuff to get in.

Before you do ANYTHING make sure you make a backup of the database. Shut the service down and make a zip copy of it. What version of webctrl are you using? Are you adding a new area? What are you actually trying to do? Let me know and I will give you detailed instructions. Typically you have to add the module in the tree making sure you are on the correct network and have it adressed correctly. Then you have to assign the equipment to it. Post what kind of device and network you are using. Also do you have an fb written already or are you using an existing one?