Events
    October 1
    1880 - A new director of the United States Marine Corps Band was named. John Philip Sousa became the band’s 17th leader. In 1888 he composed Semper Fidelis, traditionally known as the official march of the Marine Corps.
    1903 - Cy Young played in his (and everyone else’s) first World Series baseball game. The game was held in Boston between the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Boston Pilgrims (now the Red Sox). Cy and Boston lost the game; the score was Pittsburgh 7, Boston 3; however, Boston came back to win the series, five games to three.

1908 - Imagine paying just $825 for a new car! That’s what it cost to buy the new Model T which was introduced by Henry Ford.

1928 - Duke Ellington recorded The Mooche on the Okeh label.

1928 - Forever, by Ben Pollack and his band, was recorded on Victor Records. In Pollack’s band were two talented young musicians: Benny Goodman and Jack Teagarden.

1942 - Pop Quiz time: Who was the original host of People Are Funny? Radio and TV fans might say, “Art Linkletter.” They would be wrong. Art Baker was the original host.

1946 - The first baseball play-off game for a league championship featured the St. Louis Cardinals beating the Brooklyn Dodgers, 4-2.

1952 - Emcee Ralph Edwards began a new TV program on NBC-TV called This is Your Life. Each show began with Edwards surprising some unsuspecting victim, er, lucky person. The surprisee would then be presented with the story of his or her life, complete with friends and relatives who had been brought in for the big occasion. The popular show ran for nine years.

1957 - U.S. B-52 bombers in the Strategic Air Command went on 24-hour alert status because of the perceived threat of an attack from the Soviet Union.

1962 - “From New York ... heeeeeeeeeere’s Johnny!” Ed McMahon introduced the new host of NBC’s Tonight Show for the first time. Johnny Carson entertained late-night America for nearly three decades, give or take 20 years for vacations...

1966 - I Love My Dog was released by Cat Stevens. He was 19 years old. Five years later, he recorded such hits as Wild World, Morning Has Broken, Peace Train and Oh Very Young. By 1979, Cat Stevens [born, Steven Demitri Georgiou], disenchanted with the music business, converted to the Islamic religion and changed his name to Yusef Islam. He may not have liked the music biz anymore but Cat still loves his dog.

1971 - Walt Disney World opened in Orlando, Florida, USA. The opening was planned for October when the crowds were slower. Disney planners wanted everything to move slowly at first, so any problems that sprang up could be fixed with minimal guest inconvenience. The dedication of the park was held on October 25, 1971. Roy O. Disney stood with Mickey Mouse in Town Square and read the dedication plaque: “Walt Disney World is a tribute to the philosophy and life of Walter Elias Disney . . . and to the talents, the dedication, and the loyalty of the entire Disney organization that made Walt Disney's dream come true. May Walt Disney World bring Joy and Inspiration and New Knowledge to all who come to this happy place . . . a Magic Kingdom where the young at heart of all ages can laugh, and play, and learn - together.” Walt Disney World eventually became the world’s largest, man-made, tourist attraction.

1977 - 77,691 fans saw world-famous soccer player Pele in the last game of his career -- at the Meadowlands in New Jersey. He played the first half with the New York Cosmos and the second half with his former team, Santos of Brazil.

1980 - Ladies’ Home Journal startled readers. Robert Redford became the first male to appear alone on the cover. It had taken 97 years for the magazine to change its no-men-on-the-cover policy.

1983 - Bonnie Tyler’s Total Eclipse of the Heart began a four-week run as the number one single in the U.S. The song, from her Faster Than the Speed of Night album, ran 5 minutes, 36 seconds and it took a day or two to get out of your head after you listened to it...

1987 - An earthquake in Los Angeles (eleven miles southeast of Pasadena) killed eight people and injured 200. The quake caused $358 millon in property damage and measured 5.9 on the Richter scale.

1993 - The hauntingly beautiful (I Know I Got) Skillz, by Shaquille O’Neal, was released. Just a sample: “...I’m big like Gorilla, 6-7, large, I kick rhymes like moduck-kwong you, I smoke-smoke the mic-mic, I Chech and Chong you, you don’t like Shaq, frankly I don't give a damn, I know I got skills man, I know I got skills man...”

1994 - Eric Clapton’s album From the Cradle was number one in the U.S. The rest of the top five for the week: II (Boyz II Men); Rhythm of Love (Anita Baker); The Lion King (soundtrack); Dookie (Green Day).

1996 - Theodore Kaczynski was charged by a U.S. federal grand jury with mailing a bomb that killed advertising executive Thomas Mosser in 1994. Kaczynski, known as the Unabomber, pleaded guilty in January 1998 to mail bombings that killed three people and injured 23. He was sentenced in July 1997 to life without possibility of parole by a federal court in Sacramento, California.

Birthdays
    October 1
    1903 - Vladimir Horowitz
    concert pianist; died Nov 5, 1989; see Virtuoso Vladimir Day [above]
    1909 - Everett Sloane
    actor: Citizen Kane, Marjorie Morningstar, The Enforcer; died Aug 6, 1965

1920 - Walter Matthau
    Academy Award-winning actor: The Fortune Cookie [1966]; The Odd Couple, Grumpy Old Men, Grumpier Old Men, Dennis the Menace, Kotch, Pete & Tillie, Plaza Suite, The Sunshine Boys, JFK, Fail-Safe, Earthquake; died July 1, 2000

1921 - James Whitmore
    actor: Give ’Em Hell Harry, Kiss Me Kate, Oklahoma!, Planet of the Apes, Tora! Tora! Tora!

1924 - Jimmy Carter
    39th U.S. President [1977-1981]; married to Rosalynn Smith [three sons, one daughter]; full name: James Earl Carter

1924 - William Rehnquist
    U.S. Supreme Court Justice [sworn in Jan 7, 1972], Chief Justice of U.S. Supreme Court [Sep 26, 1986-present]

1925 - Roger Williams (Louis Weertz)
    pianist: 18 gold/platinum albums, charted Billboard hits in four different decades: Autumn Leaves, Born Free, The Impossible Dream, Till, Almost Paradise, Two Different Worlds, Near You, Lara’s Theme from Dr. Zhivago, Theme from Somewhere in Time; in October 2000 Williams celebrated his 75th birthday by playing a 12-hour marathon at the opening of Steinway Hall in Phoenix

1926 - Max Morath
    musician: piano: wrote, performed on NET: The Ragtime Era, Turn of the Century

1927 - Tom Bosley
    actor: Happy Days, Father Dowling Mysteries, Murder, She Wrote, The Dean Martin Show, The Debbie Reynolds Show, Wait Till Your Father Gets Home

1928 - Laurence Harvey (Laruschka Mischa Skikne)
    actor: Room at the Top, Butterfield 8, The Manchurian Candidate, Of Human Bondage; died Nov 25, 1973

1928 - George Peppard
    actor: The A-Team, Banacek, The Carpetbaggers, The Blue Max, Pork Chop Hill, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, How the West was Won, Night of the Fox, Bang the Drum Slowly, The Executioner; died May 8, 1994

1930 - Philippe Noiret
    actor: Il Postino, The Palermo Connection, Cinema Paradiso, The Family, My New Partner, Coup de Torchon, Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?, The Clockmaker, Night Flight from Moscow, Murphy’s War, Topaz, The Day of the Jackal

1931 - Frank Gardner
    auto racer

1932 - Albert Collins
    Grammy Award-winning musician: blues guitarist, songwriter: LP: Showdown! [1985]; LPs: Love Can Be Found Anywhere Even in a Guitar, Ice Pickin’, Frostbite, Frozen Alive!, Don’t Lose Your Cool, Live in Japan, Cold Snap; Blues Hall of Famer [1989]; died Nov 24, 1993

1933 - Richard Harris
    actor: Camelot, The Guns of Navarone, Hawaii, A Man Called Horse, Mutiny on the Bounty, Unforgiven; singer: MacArthur Park, Didn’t We; LP: A Tramp Shining

1933 - Richard Harris
    actor: Camelot, The Guns of Navarone, Hawaii, A Man Called Horse, Mutiny on the Bounty, Unforgiven, Harry Potter and the Sorceror’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets; singer: MacArthur Park, Didn’t We; LP: A Tramp Shining; died Oct 25, 2002

1934 - Chuck (Charles Joseph) Hiller
    baseball: SF Giants [World Series: 1962], NY Mets, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates; died Oct 20, 2004

1935 - Julie Andrews (Julia Wells)
    Academy Award-winning actress: Mary Poppins [1964]; The Sound of Music, Victor/Victoria, 10, Hawaii; Emmy Award-winner: Victoria Regina: Hallmark Hall of Fame [1961-62]; My Fair Lady, The Boyfriend

1936 - Stella Stevens (Eggleston)
    actress: The Poseidon Adventure, Li’l Abner, The Nutty Professor, Flamingo Road, Ben Casey

1939 - George Archer
    golf: Masters Champion [1969]

1942 - Herb Fame (Feemster)
    singer: Herb of Peaches & Herb: Reunited

1944 - Scott McKenzie (Phillip Blondheim)
    singer: San Francisco [Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair], Like an Old Time Movie; co-writer: Kokomo [Beach Boys]

1945 - Rod (Rodney Cline) Carew
    Baseball Hall of Famer: Minnesota Twins [Rookie of the Year: 1967/all-star: 1967-1978/Baseball Writers’ Award: 1977], California Angels [all-star: 1979-1984]

1945 - Donny Hathaway
    singer: Where is the Love, You’ve Got a Friend, The Closer I Get to You [w/Roberta Flack]; died Jan 13, 1979

1947 - Stephen Collins
    actor: Scarlett, A Woman Named Jackie, The Big Picture, Jumpin’ Jack Flash, Brewster’s Millions, Inside the Third Reich, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Promise, All the President’s Men, Nick & Hillary, Tattingers, Tales of the Gold Monkey, Working It Out

1950 - Randy Quaid
    actor: The Last Picture Show, Dead Solid Perfect, Days of Thunder, The Paper, Bye Bye Love, Caddyshack 2, National Lampoon’s Vacation, Christmas Vacation, Vegas Vacation, Independence Day

1956 - Vance (Aaron) Law
    baseball: Pittsburgh Pirates, Chicago White Sox, Montreal Expos, Chicago Cubs [all-star: 1988], Oakland Athletics

1963 - Mark McGwire
    baseball: Oakland Athletics, St. Louis Cardinals: Broke Roger Maris’ major-league single-season home-run record [60] Sep 8, 1998, set single-season record in 1998: 70

1968 - Cindy Margolis
    model, actress: The Price is Right, Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, Chairman of the Board, Hollywood Squares, To Tell the Truth, The Cindy Margolis Show; Most Downloaded Woman [Guiness Book of World Records]

Originally posted by ct2
    1983 - Bonnie Tyler’s Total Eclipse of the Heart began a four-week run as the number one single in the U.S. The song, from her Faster Than the Speed of Night album, ran 5 minutes, 36 seconds and it took a day or two to get out of your head after you listened to it...
    I still like that song.
    R2B4BTU

Originally posted by otto
    Originally posted by ct2
    1983 - Bonnie Tyler’s Total Eclipse of the Heart
    I still like that song.
    You shouldn't admit those things in a public forum Otto, they will follow you around for eternity.

1908 - Imagine paying just $825 for a new car! That’s what it cost to buy the new Model T which was introduced by Henry Ford.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

My mother-in-law was born in that year. Still, her mind is as sound as a dollar. Hates Republicans. (She would probably get along good with diceman.)

She never has had a driver's license.

Mattm has a real good point there Otto

beencool My dad was born in 1909...sure wish he was still here today

Smile Thanks ct2

I love it, Good idea. Roy

Originally posted by benncool
    By 1925 the price of a new Model T Roadster dropped to $260.

http://web.bryant.edu/~history/h364m...rs/cars_30.htm

Originally posted by ct2
    Events
    October 1

Birthdays
    October 1

1924 - William Rehnquist
    U.S. Supreme Court Justice [sworn in Jan 7, 1972], Chief Justice of U.S. Supreme Court [Sep 26, 1986-present]

don't think he's celibrating this one

Yea............

Originally posted by icemeister
    Originally posted by benncool
    By 1925 the price of a new Model T Roadster dropped to $260.

http://web.bryant.edu/~history/h364m...rs/cars_30.htm

and it costs that much to fill it with gas today.