Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ibtubed View Post
    I am a home owner who inherited a Freus unit. It worked fine, with the occasional part replacement, until recently. Now the split unit won't stay running and I can't find any qualified help locally. I left a message for the folks in LV. Hopefully, they can help. A heating and air pro came out today and told me if I replaced the unit and the air handlers, it would be some serious money - $! This was due to the efficiency standards and matching up old equiptment to new... Does this sound right?

If that is about right, then until I hit the lottery I need to find a way to keep this unit blowing cold. One of the two compressors shuts off after 30-40 seconds. It was tested and its freon levels are find and the pressure is good. It seems to be shutting off due to heat. The radiator fins have water running from them. I cleaned out the bottom of the unit and put some CLR in the pan to help get rid of the build up. I have to replace the cooler pump as it is not working. I was told this shouldn't matter as the water only gets cycle every 6 hours anyway. I have replaced the contactors just for good measure.

After cleaning the unit, it is running better, but I can only get one compressor to run at a time for any extended period of time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    You need to edit out your pricing, it is not allowed to be posted on this site.
    The pump you are talking about is called a dump or purge pump, I guess if you are in Florida, they are not readily available on your hardware store shelf because you do not live where evaporative cooling is used. Where I live, you can buy one at any big box store.
    You need that purge pump to help eliminate the mineral content in the water.
    If you are having problems with the main supply pump, any good contractor should be able to install a good high capacity submersible pump to take care of that issue.
    Freus units are not turning out to be what everyone expected, they are very problematic and if you want to save yourself any future headaches, go ahead and have the unit replaced.
    I take it you have a dual compressor unit that is running two seperate systems?
    I am surprised to see that one of these things made it all the way to Florida, I thought they were mostly used out here near the west coast.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-24-2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Removed price from quote

somewhere in one of the threads about freus the co. in vegas bought freus. which i doubt very much. more interesting would be to go to the nv. state contractors board web site & type in their business name . guess who lost their lic. dont think they will be of much help finding parts but know a local co. who got stuck with a bunch of their junk from the orig. co.
    e mail in profile

Quote Originally Posted by gvl1956 View Post
    for info on freus go to ,,,omegaac.com they just purchaced freus sept.15
    https://www.nvcontractorsboard.com/d....0&returnPage=

just for the record freus needs a new dist. this may be up for grabs.

Marvin - Thanks! I just shot you an email.

Sammy37

Sorry about the pricing quote. Amateur mistake. :-) It is a dual compressor unit. Based on what I know about it now, I am also surprised it made it here. When I talked to a local AC guy, he said there are some county efficiency standards that would probably require changing out the air handlers (which are in the attic) too. I guess that all adds up quickly. So, I am going to stick with the unit and try to make it work. I just need a good part source.

Sammy37

Sorry about the pricing quote. Amateur mistake. :-) It is a dual compressor unit. Based on what I know about it now, I am also surprised it made it here. When I talked to a local AC guy, he said there are some county efficiency standards that would probably require changing out the air handlers (which are in the attic) too. I guess that all adds up quickly. So, I am going to stick with the unit and try to make it work. I just need a good part source.
    I need to be careful what Info I give, because this is not a DIY site but whoever services the unit needs to make sure that none of the spray nozzles are plugged up and like I also said before, you need that purge pump to help eliminate some mineral content. The main supply pump also needs to be checked to make sure that it is supplying enough water to your spray nozzles.
    There are also a few other parts of the unit that should also be checked by a qualified technician.

I have good news & bad news....

The Bad News - you are in for a lifetime of grief, reoccuring cost and aggrivation off the charts.

The Good News - ... well, there is no good news, you need to scrap the entire system & start over. At least when its done its done, you can focus on something else in your life. Interview 3 contractors, get refferals & go with it.

And listen to me - DO NOT put any money in that unit & if you do, don't come here looking for help, this is the BEST advice you've had in a long time. If you want to throw your money away, just put it in an envelope & send it to me, at least one of us will be happy.
    Last edited by coolguysfl; 06-25-2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: grammer

Sammy37

the parts source is no big problem, just rather expensive.
    i have changed out many of these using the original air handler & evap. but
    it takes some time to make the proper equipment selection & the startup is not a simple wire & fire. get yourself a well seasoned tech. who is willing to go to the time & trouble of a proper startup & you will be ok with an air cooled unit & wont have to go to the dr. to get migrane meds.

I have a 2 circuit unit

Hi everyone, I am new here but have lurked the forums for well over a year now. I have a dual circuit 3.5 ton Freus unit on my home in the desert of Southern California and can personally speak of the extreme efficiency of these units. When my first condenser died, I decided to try this system out (against advice from everywhere I read, what can I say- I'm a glutton for punishment). All I can say is that I am impressed and disappointed at the same time. The combined power consumption of this unit with both compressors running is less than my previous 3.0 ton air cooled 12 seer. While I had my first floor unit fail (compressor died at 7 years old), I installed this unit in it's place but left the other air cooled unit running to cool the upstairs until the Freus had some time to prove itself. Before any one gets too upset, I agree these units have tons of room for improvement.

For starters, the work I do is in data centers- simply put I take care of what we call "critical power and cooling". I work for a manufacture (not sure if I can mention names here) and am pretty picky about assembly. The electrical system of the unit I got is a joke. A first year apprentice could do cleaner work on a 2am service call coming straight from a bar than who-ever made my unit. I have quite a few pictures of the installation, just have to figure out how to post them.

My unit had no leaks and after piping I pulled down to our standard of below 200 microns for an hour. It held and at the end of the hour was holding 160 microns- very clean system. The only change I made inside was to replace the TXV.

As for the complaints about water and scale, I'm really pretty shocked to never have read anyone suggest a simply water filtration system. I installed a small DI filter that removes all dissolved solids and a 1/4" needle valve to mix a tiny bit of city water back in so the water won't attack the copper. So far after about 4 months my coil and everything in the unit are almost as clean as when I installed them, and our water is rated the worst in the country. The tap water started at 1450us and with the needle valve I dialed it in to around 100us. We use the same type of filtration systems for our steam (electrode) humidifier bottles, it drastically increases their life.

I did the startup the same way I would at work including our site forms, so I have extensive data written down. To keep this post from getting too long, I will just say that it was 104 F outside and I was maintaining a 160# head pressure, 78 suction, 16 SH, and an 82 LL. This with an 83 deg return and 61 degree supply. The 3.5 ton compressor was drawing 9.1 amps and the air cooled 3 ton unit cooling the second floor was drawing 23 amps with a 305 head. Anyone that honestly thinks an air cooled unit can keep up with a water cooled unit in high ambient temperatures needs to seriously think about it. If anyone is interested I do have all the numbers from that day and would be happy to post/ discuss them.

I have had the same problem with the controls as another member mentioned that kicked the compressors out after about 20 seconds of running. The components they use are a joke, its a real shame they took the shortcuts they did. I wanted to make sure the cooling tower worked how they say it does so for about a week I ran the drain line back inside the unit so it would have to reuse the same water and wouldn't be cooled by the tap and sure enough I found no difference. My fix for the controls problem was to gut it and start over. Why they over complicated everything and added numerous points of failure is ridiculous.

One last part that I found to be a waste is the float switch. They may have changed to a cheaper model on mine (2007 model), but this was the worst float/fill assembly I have ever seen. It was a 1/4" connection and the only way to adjust it was to bend the float bar. I replaced it with a 3/8" fully adjustable aftermarket unit from a local supply house used in swamp coolers. The unit actually would not run with where the original float kept the water level at. I very carefully tried to bend it enough but ended up breaking it.

Just my thoughts and experience with them, other than additional maintenance and the electrical problems I fixed I really enjoy the unit. However if a friend asked me to install one on his house, I would really have think twice before proceeding.

Mike
    Last edited by mik597; 09-23-2009 at 11:24 AM. Reason: wording, spelling

sounds like you are doing things the right way. the idea of the freus is
    very good but the maintainence has to be done regularly & properly which in the real world is seldom done. our water is probably as bad as yours
    & have seen these units fail in the second year from improper service.
    keep up the good work.

Marvin- I couldn't have said it better, regularly maintenance is the key with these units. A precedent was set long ago by air cooled units in that if they were installed properly they require very minimal maintenance. Most people get away with (maybe) rinsing the condenser off with a garden hose when they remember to and nothing more. I can't imagine trying to tell a customer that this unit will save them all kinds of money in electric bills only to find they have to spend much more than they used to getting a qualified service tech to clean and maintain it.

mik597

Thanks for taking the time to post hints and kinks on the Freus.

The filter trick is a good one.

What controls did you change out, high or low pressure or other?

Marvin

Besides getting rid of scale, what other maintenance is there unique to the Freus?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast