Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by modern1 View Post
    By the way, I am installing my 3.5 ton Freus in the morning, I got the lineset all wrapped and run, it was hot as hell in the Attic this afternoon. I also ran the 1/4 inch water supply line to the conser location this after noon and its ready.
    I am upgrading from a 2.5 ton unit to a 3.5 ton unit as i completed my home theater and need another ton to cool it.
    Ripping out a Rheem rbha pos air handler, and an older heil condenser.
    The new freus 3.5 ton unit has less rla than the 2.5 ton heil, crazy huh.
    The new air handler is a Tempstar with a slow bleed expansion valve and should give me a "seer" rating around 23 or 24 if the math is right, but heck when its 98f for months on end here, the seer dont matter. Because these Units dont lose their efficiency as the temps rise.
    I will post some pics after i am done..

You have a death wish. This is the biggest piece of C--- that ever left a factory. If you don't have a drinking problem.. you will.

One day... you'll look back on this & think... God I wish I hadn't done that.

Quote Originally Posted by gvl1956 View Post
    as of sept.15 freus was purchased by omega air out of las vegas...
    as far as a need for freus ...over aircooled we all should know that in the southwest when the temp gets over 95 the eff. of air cooled equipment drops as the temp rises...thats why your 16 seer 2 stage is a waste in the desert. i think if you want or need information about freus go to omegaac.com..and yes they do require maint.. as do ant other airconditioning unit to keep it as eff. as possible
    I used to think they were a neat idea but then I started meeting people that had them and they all hate them, too many problems and too noisy.

I just had to replace the dump pump in our mailcarriers unit, she said she has had many issues with that unit along with the company here in Vegas that handles them.

Quote Originally Posted by coolguysfl View Post
    You have a death wish. This is the biggest piece of C--- that ever left a factory. If you don't have a drinking problem.. you will.

One day... you'll look back on this & think... God I wish I hadn't done that.
    Boy did you nail it. They are a piece of junk!

i think most of the oldtimers in the desert area can well remember
    the old rheemaire units. water cooled & direct spray on the condenser.
    the maintainance was horrific to say the least but when clean they
    were effecient. same old game just a different shape & color
    just had a customer call today about a freus & ended up selling him
    15 seer aircooled. gave him references from several customers where
    ive pulled freus out & installed air cooled equip.

Freus also made a packaged gas rooftop unit, I think it was part york as far as the heating and air handler section went.

Apparently they werent quite as efficient as the split unit and didnt go over too well.

There is one house here that I pass a couple of times a week that has that unit on it, it's the only one I have seen here so far.

Ripping out Freus installed 2005 - Dallas area

I believe in these units and was willing to take a few arrows along the way as long as the evangelist owning the patents was trying to fully commercialize the product (Rockney Bacchus). Freus had dutifully replaced this unit with an even more modern variant in 2007, and their parts service had been good.

Unfortunately, you should know that Freus was chased out of Texas by the Texas attorney general, and sadly the company appears to have gone bankrupt in September 2008, with liquidation assets bought up by an Omega Airconditioning in Las Vegas.

Learned of this while trying to obtain a replacement for that super efficient Chinese made water pump.....

My opinion (but one backed up by expediture of cash) - Omega Air is *not* the type of company I wish to do business with. So I'm trashing 6 years of Freus warranty and am putting in a couple of air cooled condensers.

Freus is dead. It worked as promoted - but has no chance without it's founder.

HCHTony

Freus Parts and Units can be purchased at Advance Energy in Las Vegas, NV

(702) 597-1120

They can also help answer any questions you might have about your freus unit.

There is a product that should be used as a replacement for CLR
    It's called Rydlime and can be purchased at Windustrial (702) 365-9722. It is safe and won't kill your copper or your plants.

Quote Originally Posted by hchtony View Post
    Freus Parts and Units can be purchased at Advance Energy in Las Vegas, NV

(702) 597-1120

They can also help answer any questions you might have about your freus unit.

There is a product that should be used as a replacement for CLR
    It's called Rydlime and can be purchased at Windustrial (702) 365-9722. It is safe and won't kill your copper or your plants.
    Nonsense. They are BBB rated "F" and have absolutely no ability to support these units (tested). You must believe that owners simply walk away from thousands of invested dollars on frivolous whim. That's not the way it works.

The Freus bankrupcy was a disaster for this evaporative tower concept. This scheme will likely not survive.

Quote Originally Posted by WGD View Post
    Nonsense. They are BBB rated "F" and have absolutely no ability to support these units (tested). You must believe that owners simply walk away from thousands of invested dollars on frivolous whim. That's not the way it works.

The Freus bankrupcy was a disaster for this evaporative tower concept. This scheme will likely not survive.
    Excuse me - Omega Air is rated "F". I know nothing about this company you mention.

Smile

Just trying to help with the current Freus owners.
    Not trying to start any trouble.

Freus 5 tons & 4 tons

Are the Freus 5 tons and 4 tons share the same part? What modification needed if I want to put a 5 tons unit in place of my 4 tons? Thanks!

sadly one of my customers fell for the hype of the freus& today i have yo go out & service the pos. the good thing is he still has the unit i put in 4 years
    ago & i think it will be back on line shortly.

Freus Trouble

I am a home owner who inherited a Freus unit. It worked fine, with the occasional part replacement, until recently. Now the split unit won't stay running and I can't find any qualified help locally. I left a message for the folks in LV. Hopefully, they can help. A heating and air pro came out today and told me if I replaced the unit and the air handlers, it would be some serious money - $XX-$XXK! This was due to the efficiency standards and matching up old equiptment to new... Does this sound right?

If that is about right, then until I hit the lottery I need to find a way to keep this unit blowing cold. One of the two compressors shuts off after 30-40 seconds. It was tested and its freon levels are find and the pressure is good. It seems to be shutting off due to heat. The radiator fins have water running from them. I cleaned out the bottom of the unit and put some CLR in the pan to help get rid of the build up. I have to replace the cooler pump as it is not working. I was told this shouldn't matter as the water only gets cycle every 6 hours anyway. I have replaced the contactors just for good measure.

After cleaning the unit, it is running better, but I can only get one compressor to run at a time for any extended period of time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ibtubed; 06-24-2009 at 12:23 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast