Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    By the way, I am installing my 3.5 ton Freus in the morning, I got the lineset all wrapped and run, it was hot as hell in the Attic this afternoon. I also ran the 1/4 inch water supply line to the conser location this after noon and its ready.
    I am upgrading from a 2.5 ton unit to a 3.5 ton unit as i completed my home theater and need another ton to cool it.
    Ripping out a Rheem rbha pos air handler, and an older heil condenser.
    The new freus 3.5 ton unit has less rla than the 2.5 ton heil, crazy huh.
    The new air handler is a Tempstar with a slow bleed expansion valve and should give me a "seer" rating around 23 or 24 if the math is right, but heck when its 98f for months on end here, the seer dont matter. Because these Units dont lose their efficiency as the temps rise.
    I will post some pics after i am done..

Not a bad pitch modern. If I lived in Texas I might even be a believer. Climatic differences are important. In these parts a Freus would make zero sense. Out there... maybe.

;-) less consumption saves anywhere.
    But ya'll dont bake quite as bad as we do here huh.
    feels like temps here the past week have been 108 to 110 or something like that! Heck, my brain is fried from attic heat this week. lol

I Googled Freus last night and read an article claiming that the Texas AG was seeking to shut down a company the article said manufactured Luxaire and Freus brands.

The article said that the AG alleged fraud and deceptive practices including falsely affixing UL listed decals as well as installing oversized condensers, oversized such that owners' circuit breakers tripped.

I find it odd that the supposed mfg also does installs, and I didn't recognize the sourse of the article, so I can't guage its truthfulness.

air conditioners cause laziness

(havent bothered to look up Fruse)
    I was thinking of water cooled condenser...but the principles are the same
    the water must be recycled or wasted, I dont know.

I contend that the relative humidity will have some effect,maybe not as much I want to believe (or can comprehend?)

more about these systems,please-is there any air over the outdoor coil?

lets plug in some numbers here and see what's what.

typical characteristic temps:
    75 degree temp, 99% humidity - 12:01 A.M.
    99 degree temp, 75% humidity - 2:00 P.M.

Well now, this is an interesting turn of events. Sh*t, Guess tomorrow I will be making some calls.
    It looks like the owner owns a service company in el paso
    and the Freus manufacturing. But I think there was a recent change in ownership if the Freus manufacturing line, not sure. Anyways i read some disturbing stuff I found on the Texas AGs website about this guy, I need to
    find out if the units Freus sold me had bogus UL listings. Seems thats part of the lawsuit the State of Texas has filed against this guy and his company AC experts, appears he is a hack in all meanings of the word. lol
    Here is a link to the AG Story
    http://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagNews/release.php?id=1624
    So far it does not look like the Freus Manufacturing line
    is affected, but I will try and find out tomorrow.
    This may suck big time for me..
    Picturing in my mind, me refunding a lot of money and
    removing the equipment and installing air cooled units
    at my expense.......
    Oh this could be bad. luckily I have not installed too damn many of these..

The relative humidity would have an effect if you were cooling the air with water. My system baths the condensor coils in water and the water is cooled from the cascade effect on a screen.My system is set about 23 SEER.The in coming water is in the system until a timer(set to flush the old water out and refill) tells it to pump out.The timer is set up by the installer but is variable for different water conditions. Mine is set to dump the basin every nine hours of COMPRESSOR run time.My drain is in the flower bed along side the unit.When I do put clr in to clean it every so often, I just move the drain line to the walk way.I've never really tried to figure how much water my system uses but I figure the sump holds about 12 gallons and it dumps about two times a day.They all come equipped with a drain for winter.Turn off supply water and open it up to prevent freeze damage.This is when I duoble the dose of CLR then empty it.First fire up of the cooling season,take out four screws and wipe out the scale and dust from the last season.Turn on the supply water and go.

You have seasons?
    Tell me what they are like please. Our seasons here are, warm, tropical and oh my god.

My unit uses a similar timer for the purge pump, but it foes one step further and lets you set how many minutes you want the purge pump to run. Because that pump is fast and can empty
    your resovoir, setting off the low water sensor if you have one which in turn kills the compressor, if you dont have a low water sensor or it aint working, the main pump will stop pumping and send the head up and shut down the compressor with the high pressure switch.

I recently did a service call to a customer where he had built a mist system (with timed intervals) around the outside unit. Could not see any evidence of corrosion though there was some amount of rust from the municipal water supply. Unit cooled well also. It was a Trane XL16i.

Talking Why so closed minded?

I'm new here but not new to the business. I have been researching Freus for quite some time now and finally found a place in Florida I can buy one from and get shipped. (if anyone knows somewhere in San Diego I can get one from please let me know). I don't understand why so many people are so against these. My home has 2 systems, a 3 ton and a 3.5 ton, with Freus I can get that in one system. That's something no one else has. It's a shame people that claim to be experts in the field condemn these units so quickly. The biggest complaint I have found is the effect of hard water and the maintenance it brings. Has anyone thought about installing a simple water filtration system on the unit? I have been using a simple solution on steam humidifiers for quite some time that has had remarkable results. With a deionizing filter and a small needle valve for mixing, I have extended the life of steam bottles from less than a month to almost a year. All that for $50 in parts. I would love to bounce ideas about this off anyone that is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by modern1 View Post
    Ok.. here we go. Seer ratings are based at 82f, air cooled units efficiency degrades as the temperature outside rises.
    SEER is a numbers game, especially for v-s blower motors. It means nothing for real world efficiency especially in high temperature environments.

EER (measured at 95F outside temps) determines the efficiency and true operating costs, not SEER.

What is the EER of the Freus system?

Per ARI Standard 210/240, page 82:

For a fixed speed blower fan motor in the air handler,
    SEER = EER (at 82F outside) x Cd (where Cd = Cyclic Degradation Coefficient), basically a fudge factor.

For a variable speed blower motor in the air handler, page 86:

SEER = EER taken at the following outdoor temps: 67,72,77,82,87,92,97,102.
    However, the temperatures are not weighted equally in this SEER calculation. The lowest 3 outdoor temps make up 66% of the weight of the calculation, while the highest 3 temps make up only 7% of the calculation. This is the "seasonal" part of the calc, basically meaningless at Florida or Texas climates.

Take care.

the freus facts

as of sept.15 freus was purchased by omega air out of las vegas...
    as far as a need for freus ...over aircooled we all should know that in the southwest when the temp gets over 95 the eff. of air cooled equipment drops as the temp rises...thats why your 16 seer 2 stage is a waste in the desert. i think if you want or need information about freus go to omegaac.com..and yes they do require maint.. as do ant other airconditioning unit to keep it as eff. as possible

for info on freus go to ,,,omegaac.com they just purchaced freus sept.15

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast