Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Does anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with the Freus (evaporatively cooled) condensing unit? If someone can shed some light in this regard, I would be greatly appreciative. Thank you in advance!

I had some dealings with the AC2 that they took from a company in El Paso,Tx. I tried to get pumps and switches for the upgrade on a system that was supposed to be warrantied for 15 years and was put through alot of run around and finally we changed out the system. Bad part about it , this was on (1) of our builder's personal home and it didn't go well. He was pleased with the new American Standard we installed in it's place....

Be careful of water cooled condensers they require alot of maintenance and if the water feeding it is not filtered some times this will cause alot of problems..

Just my opinion' I could be wrong...

thanks a bunch. i live in the deep south and haven't been able to find much about this system. in fact, there are no dealers or distributors of this product in my state.

thanks, again!

Ice machines make for a good comparison. They have a refrigerant circuit, an electrical circuit and a water circuit. Guess which circuit can be twice as much trouble as the other two combined. The Freus has the exact same three circuits.

I'm not suggesting you do this. But I have seen air cooled condensers go a decade or more with no maintenance and work just fine anyway. That would never happen with a Freus. While it could save you money in the long term in the right climate if everything went right, it would be a long term and everything would have to go right.

Irascible is right on with his suggestions. I thought about putting a 5 ton freus system on my own house. Thought hard & long about it. Bottom line is the unit is real efficient (up to 18 seer). But it's like having a swamp cooler on your house. Tooooo much maintenance to keep it in peak operational condition. Plus dealing with FREUS is major pain in the a@@.

Most of my contractor buds just rip em out & install conventional equipment.

Thanks, mizearella and irascible. I'm beginning to get the impression that while the energy savings and conservation aspects of Freus are appealing, it'll be more trouble and more expensive in the long run.

Thanks for your responses!

I do know that the type of system works much better in dry climates,and is not seen often in humid ones.Perhaps that is why there are no dealers there.

So, could ya enlighten me on what the humidity has to do with
    how well a evaporatively cooled Freus unit does its job?
    If a unit is desined to use water spraying over the condenser coil etc. thats 100% humidity aye

more better

condenser water is cooled by evaporation.
    dryer climate means more and faster evaporation...which ultimately translates to more capacity ( or less power consumption.)

as I recall,this guy was in south lousianna and was wanting 10 tons or more for an antique house.

didnt sound to me like good idea to me.

In the Freus units, The small amount of water that evaporates is negligable at best. It use's water to cool the condenser coil and does it very effectively. I can't see where the relative humidity of the outside air will affect the design conditions.I have installed several here in the Corpus Christi area with no problems relating to high humidity.
    The spray heads in a Freus Unit spray directly onto
    the condenser coil and of course the temperature of the coil will cause evaporation. Believe me, These Units are used in the Desert areas of Texas, Arizona and Nevada. As well as in the Coastal areas of Texas and all over Florida. They are ARI rated and do one hell of a job.
    Most dealers and contractors are afraid of everything that they know nothing about.

I have one on my house.It's been in three years.The only maintenance that's been done is to put CLR in it about every 6 months.I live in Las Vegas,Nevada and the water sucks.I put two capfulls of CLR in and let it go.As long as the flush pump drain is actually put outside the unit,it pretty much cleans itself.I've serviced many that were not setup right or charged right and it will lead to problems.Yes,alot of contractors don't like them but having worked on dozens of them,I love them.

Originally posted by modern1
    Most dealers and contractors are afraid of everything that they know nothing about.
    True enough. But as for me I was commenting on what I do know. A unit that relies on a swamp cooler like environment is going to need more attention than an air to air unit. And there's going to be accelerated degradation. I could be wrong of course. But I'd be surprised if these things last 15 years.

With air to air at over 20 SEER now, I just don't get what need the Freus is filling. Please educate me.

the freus facts

as of sept.15 freus was purchased by omega air out of las vegas...
    as far as a need for freus ...over aircooled we all should know that in the southwest when the temp gets over 95 the eff. of air cooled equipment drops as the temp rises...thats why your 16 seer 2 stage is a waste in the desert. i think if you want or need information about freus go to omegaac.com..and yes they do require maint.. as do ant other airconditioning unit to keep it as eff. as possible

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast