Thread: damper

Question

I have a gas fireplace. It's easy to tell if the chimney damper is closed/open because you can SEE the damper.

There's another damper; I think it feeds outside air to the gas logs. Can't see the damper flapper itself; there's no label of any kind on the damper handle to indicate open/closed. With this kind of setup, how do you know if the damper is open or closed ??

You must have a factory made wood burner with a gas log in it? Do you know what brand the wood burning unit is? Heatilator possibly?

Also is the outside air damper a sliding lever on the left side or a knob that spins (usually on the right).

Once you figure out how it works you could probably just leave it shut all the time. Gas log kits are made to just use room air for combustion. If you ran it for a long time though with the house sealed up you could get a negative pressure effect in which case the outside air damper could help.

Thanks.
    ----------------------------------------------
    The data-tag is hard to read but this much is pretty clear:
    "Fireplace Manufacturers Inc., Santa Ana CA, Model 36E"

[Edited by lk on 10-01-2005 at 12:33 PM]

so... I assume you figured out which way was which?

I tried to see what their web-site had to say, but can't find any. They seem to be out of business, or in any case don't have a web-site anymore.

The chimney damper is push-to-close, so taking a wild guess, I did the same with the intake-air damper.

and then I keep the glass doors closed. I never use the fireplace anyway.

Thanks.

FMI

Is the brand. You may find a dealer. TRy am odor or smoke outside and move the handle until it presents inside.

Thumbs up