Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Comparing Trane vs Carrier Central Air Conditioners

I currently have 3 older central air conditioning units that are still working, but we are living on borrowed time.

I want to replace all 3. We will live in the house for at least the next 25 to 30years barring any major catstophies.

We live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Which is a better unit? Carrier or Trane

Is it wise to go with a veriable speed compressor or 2 compressors.

If we plan on staying in the house a long time, does it make sense to get a 20 SEER unit?

Thanks

Both are good brands. It'll depend on the contractors as to how they are
    sized (properly) and installed.

Make sure they do a Manual J to determine the size. Pay special attention to the sales person who looks over the duct system for problems.

I just read a study where 73% of homes have the incorrect airflow. From my 35 years in sales, I knew it was high, I thought it was closer to 50%, but that's in my part of the world. I don't think our workmanship has sunk as low (yet) as other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Both are good brands. It'll depend on the contractors as to how they are
    sized (properly) and installed.

Make sure they do a Manual J to determine the size. Pay special attention to the sales person who looks over the duct system for problems.
    Agreed with everything George said.

As far as your payback, the contractors should be able to give you a reasonable estimate as to what the cost savings would be by going with different efficiency ratings.

SEER efficiencies are often times not something you can reasonably expect to pay back. They do use less electricity and if you've got a very long cooling season, it might make sense for economic reasons. On the other hand, being a good shepherd of the earth is also a good reason for higher efficiency. But the most compelling reason, IMO, is that the higher SEER systems are also the most comfortable. They have multi-staging, they have variable speed, they have communicating t-stats (user interface in some parlance) and they have the ability to vary their output based on load conditions.

I might draw a parallel on other items in the home. Wide screen T.V, granite counter tops, tile floors are 3 examples of items in a home that produce zero payback but do bring some level of additional comfort to the owner. So it should be (IMO) with your selection of equipment. Look beyond just the efficiency and look for what useful benefits the system brings to you. Comfort should be your key issue. Then shop like it's new tile for the bathroom!

Help

Thanks for the help.

I will need to get a 4 ton A/C and furnace, a 4 ton A/C and furnace, and a 2 ton A/C and furnace.

I'm going with Trane

I think I will choose from XL16i and XL20i.

I plan on never moving.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jcpatt View Post
    Thanks for the help.

I will need to get a 4 ton A/C and furnace, a 4 ton A/C and furnace, and a 2 ton A/C and furnace.

I'm going with Trane

I think I will choose from XL16i and XL20i.

I plan on never moving.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Is that the sizes that are existing or did someone do a Manual J? I count only two systems, you said you were going to do all three.

The house must be big like the state? Is it a ranch or 2-story?

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Is that the sizes that are existing or did someone do a Manual J? I count only two systems, you said you were going to do all three.

The house must be big like the state? Is it a ranch or 2-story?
    Sorry, mis-read the post. I see all three systems now. Ten (10) tons....total!

House has 4,100 s.f.

Approximately 400 s.f. upstairs - game room

Rest of the space is downstairs.

Trying to decide which A/C is better for our house - XL16i or XL20i

WE live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, so we use the A/C a lot. 4 kids, 2 dogs, etc.

I have pricing on both that prices the Xl20i about $500 more than the XL20i.

I guess the biggest question is with respect to the compressors. Are the 2 compressors in the XL20i more energy efficient than than the one multi-stage compressor in the XL16i?

The good news is that all the units still work, but I want to at least replace one of the 4 ton units and I want to decide on what I should do with the other 3 units.

I realize any new unit will be better than the Rheem A/C-Goodman furnace that was installed in 1995.

I should have said XL20i is priced $500 more than the XL16i.

Thanks

Seldom gets mentioned, but repair costs should be taken into consideration.
    Ask the company what the cost of a compressor change, a blower change, and a condensor fan motor change are at current prices for each unit.
    Ask about the costs for changing out the various circuit boards also.

Some manufacturers are very proud of their stuff and like to charge an arm, a leg, your first born and all the money you have in the bank for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by jcpatt View Post
    I should have said XL20i is priced $500 more than the XL16i.

Thanks
    JMO in this climate i like the xl20i for better humidity control.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

LIKE TRANE BUT THERE IDEA LIKE GOODMAN MOUNTING THE CONTROLE BOARD ON THE BLOWER DOOR COME ON .THEN I FOUND OUT AMERICAN STANDARED WAS BOUGHT OUT BY IGERSOLLRAND PRITTY GOOD AIR COMPRESSER REBUILT A LOT OF THEM

I'm concerned that you've already stated the sizes of the systems to be replaced/installed. I cannot overemphasize the need for a proper room-by-room Manual 'J' load analysis be done on the home. For the cost of 3 new systems, any company worth anything should bend over backwards to be absolutely positive of the sizing of the systems. 4, 4 & 2 tons may be spot on what you need or could be way off. I have a customer with 2 4-ton systems and one 2.5-ton system. I recently did a Manual 'J' on the areas served by one 4 and the 2.5-ton units. Turns out he needs 2.0-tons where the 4-ton unit services and 1.5-tons where the 2.5-ton services. This means he paid for more equipment than he needed, larger ducts than he needed and he pays significantly higher electric bills as well, all the while being less comfortable in his home due to higher humidity caused by short cycling.

Please insist on a Manual 'J' or better yet, don't allow anyone into your home to give you a quote who doesn't VOLUNTARILY insist on doing a Man 'J'. Unless you're willing to gamble multi-thousands of dollars on a single bet, have the 'J' done and at the very least, remove any doubt about equipment sizing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast