Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Help with new HVAC system

I am going to replace my 15 year old Bryant AC split system because its starting to have some issues and I dont want to put more money in to it my system is still running so I have time to shop around.Could you folks give me some ideas as to what brands I should look at.I live in central Florida so a system that can control humidity is a big concern to me.I will be replacing a 2.5 ton Bryant straight cool with heat strips.Thinking about getting a heat pump for a replacement.I have been pricing a Rheem brand unit but have no idea about this brands rating.Do I need a Heat Pump in Florida?I would really be thankful for any suggestions you folk's could give me.
    1100 sq ft living space

Well first off any air conditioner will dehumidify, it all depends on if your thermostat has dehumidification controls. I would definitely go with a heat pump. As far as brands go IMHO there really isnt a good or bad brand. I will probably catch hell for this but when I replaced my unit on my house I went with Goodman just because they were the cheapest and quite frankly I have not had a bit of problems out of it.

Im like a mushroom, they keep me in the dark and feed me crap.

Quote Originally Posted by farleyb View Post
    I am going to replace my 15 year old Bryant AC split system because its starting to have some issues and I dont want to put more money in to it my system is still running so I have time to shop around.Could you folks give me some ideas as to what brands I should look at.I live in central Florida so a system that can control humidity is a big concern to me.I will be replacing a 2.5 ton Bryant straight cool with heat strips.Thinking about getting a heat pump for a replacement.I have been pricing a Rheem brand unit but have no idea about this brands rating.Do I need a Heat Pump in Florida?I would really be thankful for any suggestions you folk's could give me.
    1100 sq ft living space
    Any good a/c setup properly will dehumidify during high cooling loads. During wet cool weather with low/no cooling loads, the a/c will not remove enough moisture to control humidity in FL.
    I suggest a properly set up a/c with a whole house dehumidifier to humidty control at of the weather you have. Some suggest two speed a/c as a solution but without the significant cooling loads during +60^F outdoor dew points supplemental dehumidification is needed.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Smile

Thanks for the help,there is just so many brands to look at,again THANKS for your input.Any thoughts on whole house air filters are they worth the money etc.?

Forget about brands until you have nailed down your requirements.

Once you know your requirements, if you want to limit the brands based on your requirements, that's OK, but focus on getting a good contractor that handles the brand(s) you have in mind.

In FL, I would get a heat pump. Then, depending on your local winter weather and local energy prices, decide between electric heat strips or gas heat for AUX. I suspect that most areas of FL, a heat pump with electric heat strips will work the best.

I would spec a passive filter like the Aprailaire 2210 or equivalent. IMO anything else is overkill. The 2210 has 0.35 pressure drop so your contractor should check your duct system to see if that's OK.
    Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do

I would definately go with a heat pump in Fla. For humidity control compare the costs of a single stage heat pump with whole house dehumidifier to the cost of a 2 stage heat pump. Both would provide you with increased humidity control over the current system you have although the two stage system would provide a little less humidity control than a whole house dehumidifier would. Electric supplemental heat would probably be appropriate as most of Fla is a warm enough climate to where supplemental heat should not be required almost ever and electric supplemental heat only costs a small fraction of what gas supplemental heat (duel fuel) costs on installation.

If you have the money, and want to swing for the fence then go with a two stage heat pump with a whole house dehumidifier. I still would pair that with electric supplemental, but if you are into spending money for the sake of spending it and like the coolest stuff available then you could also pair that system up with gas supplemental heat...

Find a reputable contractor in your area and focus on the quality of the install far more than the brand... (although I am preferential to the Rheem/Ruud brand - #1 consumer reports reliability)

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Wink

Thanks for the info guys had 2 manual j's done and it looks like I need a 2.5 ton unit now all I have to do is find a contractor in Tampa and pick a brand,Thanks for your help

Question Comfortmaker Brand

Again thanks for every ones help with my questions what does the group think about the Comfortmaker Brand as it was my lowest bid for a new heat pump system?
    Thanks folks

Quote Originally Posted by farleyb View Post
    Again thanks for every ones help with my questions what does the group think about the Comfortmaker Brand as it was my lowest bid for a new heat pump system?
    Thanks folks
    I believe Comfortmaker is a ICP brand name, so it's very similar to Heil and other ICP equipment.

What was your reason for selecting the lowest bidder?
    Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do

I just have never heard of the brand,what I want is a GOOD install and will be willing to pay more for that alone.Its crazy with all the brands out there to pick one now that I know the requirements I need.
    Thanks to all for the info

any thoughts on the Amana brand?

Most brands have a cheap line & a deluxe line. Comfortmaker's cheap line is essentially the same thing as a Bryant or Carrier. The "mainline" models are so much nicer with compressor protection features, diagnostics module, sound deadening efforts and a better warranty. Amana is the same way. A low end line (same as a Goodman) and the deluxe line with the same features as the better Comfortmaker.

It's hard to find a good dealer who will size the sucker right and put it in well. Once you find that, get whatever they suggest.

Help with new HVAC system?

If you are searching for new HVAC system then instead of purchasing the heat pump you should have to purchase dehumidifier with inbuilt exhaust fan and heat pump subsystems. My friend has purchased a mini dehumidifier for basement. It is running good. I do not know the brand name. You can consult to them to get more information.
    Last edited by Stamas; 07-09-2011 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Removed Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast