I need a new roof on my house, so I had a roofer come by and give an estimate. I asked him about installing a couple of those turbine fans on the roof. Those are the ones that turn with a breeze. He said he didn't think they really help in cooling the house. They cool the attic, but don't help much with the rooms, according to him.

He also said there are roof mounted electrical fans that are thermostatically controlled. Even one that uses a solar cell for fan motor power. Those cost another $250.

Sounds interesting...what do you think?

Run a quick load on your house, if you haven't already. See how much of it comes from the ceiling/roof. When you've got that, re-run it with a 30Ί cooler attic and see how much it saves.

Personally, I like the turbine vents. In my dad's old house I rigged up a condenser fan in the gable hooked to a differential stat. When it was 20Ί hotter in the attic than outside, the fan kicked on. I have no idea how much it saved in cooling, but I know it was a lot less miserable upstairs after that.
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

I've got 2 turbines on the house and 1 on the garage. I don't think they're all they're cracked up to be. I'll probably scrap these eventually and opt for power...Good idea solar... no batteries or back up required since you only need the fan when the suns up anyway.

I installed a power fan in my old house and it did wonders to balancing the house.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Forget the fans and the turbines, have a ridge vent installed, also make sure your soffits have adequate vents to allow air in.

Originally posted by swampfox
    Forget the fans and the turbines, have a ridge vent installed, also make sure your soffits have adequate vents to allow air in.

The house already has 2 vents. What is it you don't like about the fans and turbines?

Ridge vent goes the length of the roof. Hot air goes up and out the ridge vent. No wind or electricity needed.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

I've always been told that ridge vents were the way to go, from a number of roofing contractors, home builders, insulation contractors, and hvac contractors.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

I am seriously considering one of these when I re- roof my house.

http://weathervanesofmaine.com/aboutcupolas.html

Originally posted by karsthuntr
    Ridge vent goes the length of the roof. Hot air goes up and out the ridge vent. No wind or electricity needed.
    I don't have ridge vents, just 2 small vents on the roof.
    Not sure what a ridge vent looks like. Sounds like a big job to install, if it runs the length of the roof. Is this something a roofer can do?

Yes a roofer can do it.

My Fire.... Fire.... thread has no problems with heat in the attic. Not anymore, at 9:00 this morning the attic was pretty hot.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.