Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: start time

Originally posted by John Lloyd
    Why is this discussion taking place in "General Discussion?"

IMHO this is not a subject for public consumption.

If it makes you feel better, I'm thrilled that you expressed this opinion.

But.
    But.
    But.

TOUGH.

Really, you could seriously use a hysterectomy.

I get paid on arrival to first job or arrival at shop if I need stuff (or supply house). If drive to first job is over 45 minutes then pay starts at 45 minutes from home and ends at 45 minutes before I get home.
    R2B4BTU

Originally posted by otto
    I get paid on arrival to first job or arrival at shop if I need stuff (or supply house). If drive to first job is over 45 minutes then pay starts at 45 minutes from home and ends at 45 minutes before I get home.

That just sounds crazy to me that your giving away that much time . Its like a sheetrocker I use to know that only got paid while he worked and got no travel. Pretty much all the jobs his boss got were in a towm 110 miles away so the friend never got any pay for the time coming and going. Otto tell me this.... does your boss charge the customer for you to get to the job? Does your boss charge anything for getting back say it takes 45 minutes to have gotten there, or is it just billed to the next job you go to? Im just currious being I have always had my own way of looking at it. I have a pretty good idea with flat rate that there is probably something added in to cover the return trip or at least with the rate in the flat rate pricing it will cover travel and going for parts. I guess that why if your not flate rate you have no problem telling the cusomer they have to pay traveltime being its not hidden anywhere else in your price.

It burns me too why should the first customer of the day get a free ride when all the other customers pay for the travel to their site?
    I was told se only get paid from the first job. I always charged the time it would take to get to the job from the shop/office so if it took 45 mins from the shop and 60 mins from my home I billed the 45 min if it was 20 mins from the shop I billed 20 mins if it was 75 mins I billed 45 mins etc
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

We are a uion shop and the shops official ruling on it is to look in the travel book, and it will show you the pay for for whatever miles you drive to a job, but nobady uses it, everyone gets paid for every minute they are in the truck officially, and a lot of other miutes unofficially, basically we are only away from our house for about 6 1\2 hours to get an eight hour day in. Works out pretty good.

dec, I like where I work and our schedule. They give me a vehicle and gasoline. My car sits at home and only gets driven on the weekends. I gave up fretting over the small items like to and from drive times. I work for a great company with good people. They keep me busy all year long. I could make more money but where I'm at now is a good place.
    R2B4BTU

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12