Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Stupid

In the military I was shown a pic of a guy that sliped off a airplane wing and caught his ring finger on something and pulled his finger off his hand. I always thought jewery had no place on the job. Sooo years later I was given a Hopi ring. I have huge respect for the Hopi tribe so I wore it on my right ring finger for a couple of years. A bit ago I had my hands inside a California heat pump sweating in a biflo drier when a big glob of 15% falls on the ring and the ring goes thermonueclear. Nothing handy to cool it off so the ring choses my finger. Almost to the bone. Later an electrican I work with asked me what happened. When I told him he asked me to talk to two of his guys who's wifes insisted their husbands keep their rings on at work. I wondered what they would think if their husbands came home without a finger. Ya big stupid. I hope this helps anyone who thinks it can't happen to me. And another thing if you are one of those guys that has a wife like that just don't tell her and take the ring off when working because she will think YOUR the dumbass w/o a finger!!
    Tracers work both ways.

I went to school with a girl who lost half of a finger more-or-less the same way. She was climbing a chain-link fence and got it caught.

Take off the rings, and put them on your keychain.
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

I was about 16 and was with my dad who was a heavy equipment salesman. He was up on huge dragline or shovel and when he went to step on the first step down he missed and his ring got caught and he was just hanging there by his ring finger. I don't know why it didn't just rip his finger off. Since my working career started I have chosen not to wear jewelry.

Where is Payson?

You are one guy that needs to listen to this!

Take care out there guys.

Have you ever seen a ring smashed on s finger so tight it had to be cut off

There was a kid in highschool during gym. He went to slam dunk a ball and his class ring got caught. Ripped his finger clean off right there in gym class and the teacher freaked and ran out of the class screaming.

Several years ago a maintenance guy was doing some electrical work and his necklace somehow swung into a disconnect and about killed him.

Jewlery of no kind belongs on the job.

[Edited by mattm on 09-30-2005 at 05:36 AM]

Damn...I never knew jewelry could be such a disaster. I've never heard of anybody getting a finger detached from their hand from a ring...until now. That's horrible. I don't wear jewelry or the such at work...and I'll never think about doing it.

Take care of that burned finger there.
    Get back to work.

I have been taking mine off and putting it on the keychain. Now that I'm back to industrial service I see alot more 460 volt stuff with 70 amps or higher fuses. Scares me to think what would happen if I brush against a live point while troubleshooting.
    R2B4BTU

Man... That is something to think about! I'm taking mine off when I pull out of the driveway from now on!

Wore mine, even though I knew better, till coming down an extension ladder, my foot slipped and guess what was the only thing holding me up - the ring got caught on a rung. Hurt like hell. left mark for awhile to remind me. Have never wore anything again.Lesson learned the hard way.

Richard

When I was in school for HVAC, they showed us a safety film about how dangerous jewelry was, it was scary gruesom.
    I don't even wear a watch now!
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Years ago my ex father-in-law was backing his 29 foot Owens out of its mooring. I was pushing against a post to keep the boat off of it. As I pulled my hand back my wedding ring got hooked on the head of a huge nail that was used to hang the line on when the boat was out. It came unhooked just in time. Scared the hell out of me!
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

I do wear a necklace and a watch outside of work...

But I will find an alternative when the times comes to wear a "ring". Thanks to these stories...I'll never wear one to work, and remember to take the ring off when I feel my finger will be in danger.
    Get back to work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast