I was working on an EMI unit today, a little split that someone put in for a communications room, and it had a defective fan cycle control, one of those disc type things non-adjustable.

Well I decided to put a Penn Johnsob P70 fan cycle on it in place of ordering another disc. Then the old question came up as I was doing it, Is there a schrader in this thing or not ? I did have access to another service valve and eventually that is what I ended up connecting to with a swivel T, I did not try to remove the disc, because they needed the unit to run and if I had blown the refer it would have taken awhile to get it recharged. My question is, shouldn't there be some standard that will tell us whether or not there is a schrader underneath whatever is plugged into the access fitting ?

I know that most manufacturers won't have a schrader in the HI-cutout control for obvious reasons, but what about the other controls, how do you know if there is or not ? Without calling themand being on hold al day to find out that they don't know either ?.

I seriously doubt there was a schrader there.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

I look at the replacement part to see if there is a depressor... In your case, with a universal replacement, I go with the swivel tee just as you did and "make it right" if and when the charge is out.

Originally posted by gruvn
    My question is, shouldn't there be some standard that will tell us whether or not there is a schrader underneath whatever is plugged into the access fitting ?

I agree. Yes there should. It could be as simple as spray painting it a certain color. This color could be used by both the manufacturer and service personal.

Okay I hereby decree. If you install a shrader fitting spray paint it green.

Great, I will start doing it and we shold start petitionong the manufacturers to start also.

There, I changed my signature in my profile. This is an historic occasion.

Careful, you may be remembered as the man who pioneered schrader valve recognition.

Originally posted by gruvn
    I was working on an EMI unit today, a little split that someone put in for a communications room, and it had a defective fan cycle control, one of those disc type things non-adjustable.

Well I decided to put a Penn Johnsob P70 fan cycle on it in place of ordering another disc. Then the old question came up as I was doing it, Is there a schrader in this thing or not ? I did have access to another service valve and eventually that is what I ended up connecting to with a swivel T, I did not try to remove the disc, because they needed the unit to run and if I had blown the refer it would have taken awhile to get it recharged. My question is, shouldn't there be some standard that will tell us whether or not there is a schrader underneath whatever is plugged into the access fitting ?

I know that most manufacturers won't have a schrader in the HI-cutout control for obvious reasons, but what about the other controls, how do you know if there is or not ? Without calling themand being on hold al day to find out that they don't know either ?.
    All that to tell us you're a lazy hack? Dude, we already knew it.

hey beenie

better use another color like red or black, you'll have guys dumping 22 into R12 refrigeration condensers

to late I've already bought a can of green spray paint, Rustoleum too, so it was expensive.

Because you used a different gauge port, there is now a schrader core in the HP port. Iff'n you'dve removed the old fan switch though, then it wouldnt've been there.
    R2B4BTU