Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 83
  1. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,057
    AS I remember, there was a move during the Reagan years to get rid of the Postal System. The argument FOR the Postal System was: They guarantee delivery to every address in the country, regardless of whether it is easy or hard (mainstream or off in the sticks).

    With the advent of Email, UPS, Fed-Ex, WalMart, and a host of other ways to send correspondence... I think that old dog just will not hunt.

    I would be in favor of eliminating the PO... as long as we have a viable alternative that GUARANTEES to operate first class mail to EVERY address at the same price. IMO that should not be very hard for, say, Fed-Ex or UPS or WalMart... Actually, I see a consortium of co's working together in the future. Maybe even competition in first class letters between two or three players.

    Imagine that... the fruits of competition in the Postal System.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  2. #41
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    2,549
    It makes sense. Other countries have already done it, and the newly privatized companies are turning profits.

    http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/03/news...atize.fortune/

    http://www.downsizinggovernment.org/usps
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    17,890
    Why hell bells, we ought to just dismantle the whole country. I'd like to see some anarchy going on. Then I could get my target pratice in with live cans.


    As your Hero said. Bring it on baby.

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Racer View Post
    They have closed post offices in areas where there are others to take up the slack. Ask anyone whose zip code has changed in the last few years.

    Unfortunately, this has caused an increase in fuel consumption by the USPS.
    Everything the USPS does is based on some political or organized labor favor or demand. I recently bought a house 7 miles from where I uses to live. Where I used to live, the small post office closed down from 11:30am to 1:00pm every day for lunch. There was another, larger post office a little closer to me that delivered mail to houses on my rural road where the mailbox was on the same side of the street as the house. My mailbox was on the other side of the street, so I was designated to the smaller post office.

    Fast forward to the new house. Because of some really screwy boundery lines that on the map look like a hand with six very long fingers stretching into Lancaster City postal area. My house is on the tip of one of those fingers. Even though I am in a very rural area, closer to two other small towns then I am to Lancaster and closer to four other post offices then the one I am assigned to in Lancaster.

    I literally pass two post offices to get to my post office. What in the world are the people supposedly running the USPS thinking?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  5. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    17,890
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Everything the USPS does is based on some political or organized labor favor or demand. I recently bought a house 7 miles from where I uses to live. Where I used to live, the small post office closed down from 11:30am to 1:00pm every day for lunch. There was another, larger post office a little closer to me that delivered mail to houses on my rural road where the mailbox was on the same side of the street as the house. My mailbox was on the other side of the street, so I was designated to the smaller post office.

    Fast forward to the new house. Because of some really screwy boundery lines that on the map look like a hand with six very long fingers stretching into Lancaster City postal area. My house is on the tip of one of those fingers. Even though I am in a very rural area, closer to two other small towns then I am to Lancaster and closer to four other post offices then the one I am assigned to in Lancaster.

    I literally pass two post offices to get to my post office. What in the world are the people supposedly running the USPS thinking?

    I'd have done the simple thing and move my mailbox to the other side of the road. Geeeze

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,943
    Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    I'd have done the simple thing and move my mailbox to the other side of the road. Geeeze
    I asked. They got real serious about messing with Federal government property and my being able to be relocated to some hostile island prison in the Caribean if I were to do such a thing. Somehow, moving my mailbox came under the Patriot Act.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  7. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    17,890
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I asked. They got real serious about messing with Federal government property and my being able to be relocated to some hostile island prison in the Caribean if I were to do such a thing. Somehow, moving my mailbox came under the Patriot Act.
    Heck, I move mine all the time. These crazy kids out here have knocked it down 7 times in 10 years.

    Oh yea. what's a caribean? Is it a bean you carry around in your pocket?

  8. #47
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    2,549
    Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Why hell bells, we ought to just dismantle the whole country. I'd like to see some anarchy going on. Then I could get my target pratice in with live cans.


    As your Hero said. Bring it on baby.
    Bush ain't my hero. But neither is Gore or Kerry.

    The USPS is quickly becoming obsolete. Everyone is switching to electronic mail and bill-pay. 90% of my snail mail goes straight into the trash, after I have taken the time to strip and shred all the personal information.

    The USPS is like an oversized 6 SEER AC system. It's time to scrap it and get a size-matched, more efficient setup.

    It'll pay for itself in no time.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,943
    Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Heck, I move mine all the time. These crazy kids out here have knocked it down 7 times in 10 years.

    Oh yea. what's a caribean? Is it a bean you carry around in your pocket?
    Yes.

    And because my mailbox was on a main road but in the middle of a nasty "S" turn on a hill, it got smashed a few times a year. I used that as an argument to move it to the other side of the road and got the same response about being treated as a terrorist if I messed with the Federal government.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  10. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    17,890

    I found this and hope the Internet god approves

    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Yes.

    And because my mailbox was on a main road but in the middle of a nasty "S" turn on a hill, it got smashed a few times a year. I used that as an argument to move it to the other side of the road and got the same response about being treated as a terrorist if I messed with the Federal government.
    Maybe you should have said that the fedreal government is Of the people, by the people and for the people


    http://beta.news.yahoo.com/canada-po...191200480.html

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    17,890
    I bet I one of us went into our local Wal-mart and told them why you were going to move the bread and put it inbetween the cold cuts and peanut butter and jelly, they'd call the local sheriff and have him listen to you.

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,228
    speaking of shutting down slow post offices. We had one localy that was going to get shut down. Basically it was a town that got enveloped by the city. This "town" wants to keep its identity. To shut down the post office would be saying the town is no more...which it has not been for 20+ yrs. A bunch of stick in the mud don't change anything old farts called the congress man to have it kept open. "We cant go ALL the way down town to drop off our letters!" downtown is a 15 min drive..plus there are mailboxes EVERYWHERE to drop your letter in. So now the rarely used post office is still open and getting a remodel all for political reasons. I am guessing there are about 10 employees for a 3 horse area of land.

    just tired of my money going to wast..i don't need Saturday mail. i just need it to flow efficiently during the week. If i could get my regular mail threw UPS and FEDEX i would.

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,943
    Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    I bet I one of us went into our local Wal-mart and told them why you were going to move the bread and put it inbetween the cold cuts and peanut butter and jelly, they'd call the local sheriff and have him listen to you.
    One of the reasons for the success of companies such as Wal-Mart is that they do have suggestion box's that consumers can and do suggest things such as where to locate the bread so that it is more convenient to find. Many of these stores that are not dictated by organized labor as to how they must operate, also have employee meetings and suggestions for ways to better the operations.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event