+ Reply to Thread

Thread: quietside boilers

Post Likes

quietside boilers

My 21 year old heatmaker boiler/domestic hot water unit has some problems and i am looking to replace it with a DPW-120A Quietside boiler. My question is how do these Quietside boilers stand up ? I am located in Western Pa. THANKS

Post Likes
    never heard of them!

Post Likes

do a search

Do a search on this site, I think there are a couple of threads about them.
    I think you may get a "Love them" or "hate them" response

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tlj000 View Post
    Do a search on this site, I think there are a couple of threads about them.
    I think you may get a "Love them" or "hate them" response
    same with my Heatmaker boiler and mine was trouble free for 20+ years. i think a lot of these problems come from poor instalations.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pamotorman View Post
    i think a lot of these problems come from poor instalations.
    That can sure give a product a bad rap

Post Likes
    I am a hydronics guy. I install and service gas and oil boilers everyday. My opinion is to go with something else.

A little history.

Quietside is primarily an instaneous hot water manufacturer. They jumped into the boiler market prematurely. Be cautious of a couple of things. As of my most recent inquiry, their boilers had not received "H" stamp approval. Meaning, that they are not allowed to be installed as a central heating appliance in some jurisdictions. Their heat exchangers are marginal at best.

I prefer some of the other manufacturers. The guys that make boilers. Triangle Tube, Viessmann, Buderus, etc... are all reputable manufacturers. The most important thing is to find a good contractor and go with the equipment that he is most comfortable with.

As for your Trianco Sh**maker, I mean Heatmaker, I have worked on more of them than I care to count. You are the absolute exception to the rule. They were poorly designed. Poorly installed. And didn't stand the test. The fact that you got 20 yrs out of it is an absolute miracle. Consider that as money in the bank and go with a real boiler this time.

Good Luck.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by meplumber View Post
    I am a hydronics guy. I install and service gas and oil boilers everyday. My opinion is to go with something else.

A little history.

Quietside is primarily an instaneous hot water manufacturer. They jumped into the boiler market prematurely. Be cautious of a couple of things. As of my most recent inquiry, their boilers had not received "H" stamp approval. Meaning, that they are not allowed to be installed as a central heating appliance in some jurisdictions. Their heat exchangers are marginal at best.

I prefer some of the other manufacturers. The guys that make boilers. Triangle Tube, Viessmann, Buderus, etc... are all reputable manufacturers. The most important thing is to find a good contractor and go with the equipment that he is most comfortable with.

As for your Trianco Sh**maker, I mean Heatmaker, I have worked on more of them than I care to count. You are the absolute exception to the rule. They were poorly designed. Poorly installed. And didn't stand the test. The fact that you got 20 yrs out of it is an absolute miracle. Consider that as money in the bank and go with a real boiler this time.

Good Luck.
    what has happen to my heatmaker is the inner tube in the vent has gone bad and the boiler short cycles because combustion gas is getting back into the incoming fresh air. if i unplug the outside air to the combustion chamber the boiler runs. the vent is $600 and the circulating pump should be changed and they are $400 plus labor and i will still have a 20+ year old boiler. just glad this happen in the summer and not in the winter when we are in Fla. thanks for your insight. my other house had a hydro therm and in 20 years i had to replace it also.

Post Likes

A little history.

Good Luck.
    the boilers you listed do they also heat domestic hot water as i don't want to have a seperate water heater??

Post Likes
    I am not quite sure why you object to an indirect tank, but...

The Triangle Tube and Viessmann (late summer) both have DHW availability.

With a tank, your control options would be much greater. What do you have against a tank?

Post Likes
    I am not quite sure why you object to an indirect tank, but...

The Triangle Tube and Viessmann (late summer) both have DHW availability.

With a tank, your control options would be much greater. What do you have against a tank?
    i want a on demand water heater as i do not want to pay to heat water while i am not using it. when i went from a 40 gallon storage water heater to the heatmaker setup my natural gas bill in the summer months was cut in half. there are only 2 of us in the house so we do not use much hot water
    Last edited by pamotorman; 06-21-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Post Likes
    I am also a hydronics guy who works on boilers and water heaters every day. I'm not really au fait with all the manufacturers who are available in the states, however Viessman and Buderus are both well known and respected in Scotland. As well as the peace of mind which comes with a new appliance, they are kinder to your wallet, especially when paired with weather compensation controls. Your existing appliance sounds like it is in a potentially dangerous condition, so please, whether you replace it or repair it try to engage the services of a properly licensed contractor. Safety first!

Post Likes

triangle tube boiler

i am having a someone come and give me a estimate on a triangle tube challenger combination boiler next week. anything i should look for in the estimate ??

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Make sure the installer checks your incoming water supply is adequate for the boiler, both pressure and flow rate. Ask also if he will be flushing the system before the new appliance is fitted (many manufacturers will not honour a warranty if this is not done!).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Boabcelt View Post
    Make sure the installer checks your incoming water supply is adequate for the boiler, both pressure and flow rate. Ask also if he will be flushing the system before the new appliance is fitted (many manufacturers will not honour a warranty if this is not done!).
    will do Thanks i do have city water

Post Likes

cost of boiler

what is the cost of a triangle tube challenger combo boiler as the prices i have been quoted are clost to $20K just to replace my present boiler ? something just don't sound right to me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pamotorman View Post
    i want a on demand water heater as i do not want to pay to heat water while i am not using it. when i went from a 40 gallon storage water heater to the heatmaker setup my natural gas bill in the summer months was cut in half. there are only 2 of us in the house so we do not use much hot water
    I have a Takagi tankless water heater for the whole house. It's 12 years old, maybe more, and i NEVER had any problems with it, not once. Yes, i remember the gas bill went down quite a bit... not to mention the space i saved.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in