I have a 9 year old Goodman 120k btu, 92% efficient furnace that has been diagnosed as having a cracked heat exchanger. I understand this is a common problem for Goodman furnaces of that vintage.

My regular HVAC company (have used them for 5 years) was extremely interested in selling me a $3500 furnace but, with some reluctance, offered to warranty the exchanger for $750. Their zeal to have me drop $3500 made me think that I might have been mistaken about these guys, loyal customer or no, so I started looking around.

My first stop was with the company that installed the furnace for the previous HO. They didn't mention that they don't carry Goodman, then told me the warranty doesn't carry to the new homeowner, then never bothered to give me an estimate for a new furnace anyway.

My 2nd stop has been a Goodman dealer who, after a little interest (I gave them a serial number), has not bothered to follow-up. I figure 3 unreturned phone calls is enough for me to get the message.

SO, I look for advice. Suck it up and pay the $750? Call Goodman? I have no fear of spending money but I think this is a 3hr job for an experienced technician. Am I mistaken?

Ok, so you had a Goodman and the ht ex went bad.

$750.00 for the install is typical. Did you keep up with your filter changes ect?

With the advances since your old furnace was installed you may have made a mistake by not taking up your dealer on a new system.

I would have done the same and offered you a choice between new ht ex and a new system simply because I know you were POed over the old furnace and might not have faith in it any longer and that is where the new system offer would have been appropriate.

I empathize with you but your dealer shouldn't be villonized just because he sold it to you.

There were some ht ex probs with Goodman that have since been rectified.

But I can't specify if yours is one or not.

One continuing theme you will hear on this board is "IT'S NOT THE BRAND , IT'S HOW IT'S INSTALLED".

I stand corrected, theme is not accurate. IT IS A MANTRA.

My point is that the brand installed must be properly sized for the home, adjusted properly, :ie duct size correct, gas press. set at specs, blower speed set to
    correct speed.

If any of this is over looked than your furnace will not last. Period

If your local Goodman distributor is anything like the one here, that 3-4 hours it actually takes a tech to change the HX is backed up with 4-5 hours of frustration and wasted trips over a 1-2 week period to get a new HX in acceptable condition.
    The distrubutor may also charge the contractor a handling fee.
    The contractor assumes a lot of liability also.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Thanks for the feedback. If $750 is not unreasonable, then I am comfortable with that. I would feel pretty far ahead if I get 5 more years out of it. I'm not really against a new furnace either but it seems pretty wasteful to bin the existing one after 9 years.

I am religious about filter changes but I can't know how the furnace was treated for the 5 years before I bought the house. I may take this opportunity to upgrade to 4" media.

Make sure they take temp rise and check gas pressure when done with the change to make sure there is no overheating issue. That's a BIG furnace.

I said that earlier but won't hurt to repeat it.

The major issue with that particular furnace having problems with the heat exchanger is usually due to improper return air installation.

That furnace requires a bottom feed return or both sides ducted for return. If there is only one single side return to the furnace, the heat exchanger is starved for air more on one side and has been overheating since it was installed.

There are no problems with any reputable Goodman distributor obtaining a new heat exchanger and most distributors carry them in stock.

These are the easiest heat exchangers in the industry to change for the type of furnace you have.

Another issue that those furnaces have with improper installation is the condensate drains from the secondary heat exchanger and the vent piping are too often not installed properly. If air is allowed to bypass the condensate trap assembly and enter the induced draft blower without going through the burner compartment, the entire burner system is going to be running hotter then it should be.

Has anyone ever done a temperature rise from the return to the supply air on this thing? If not...why not?

If you decide to have the heat exchanger replaced, be sure to have the contractor check the secondary heat exchanger for air blockage from improper air filtration. This can also be done now by removing the blower section and looking up into the secondary coil.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Thanks again for the feedback. My regular service company is scheduling to replace the exchanger and I'll bring up the points mentioned.

Hey Robo,

Just remember I get half when you send the consultation bill.

Originally posted by curry
    Hey Robo,

Just remember I get half when you send the consultation bill.

Great! It'll cost me 37 cents to send you your half of nothing Maybe you should double your fee to make it more worthwhile.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV