Thread: town permits and licensing

Post Likes
    I am planning on replacing my furnace soon, and relatives of mine have a HVAC company that I would prefer to have do the work. The problem is they aren't licensed in our town (though they are in many others).

Excuse me if this seems to be a silly question: From a liability standpoint, should I not even consider having them do the work unless they get licensed by our municipality? They are fully insured and bonded, just never had any business in the area (except for me). This is my first home, so I don't have much experience concerning how the local licensing factor would affect things (insurance, etc).
    I understand the need for need for licensing to protect consumers from hacks & non legit contractors, but is there anything else I am not considering in this?

I'd appreciate any opinions the experts here might have.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Slab
    Some municipalities allow a "homeowners permit" to be pulled.

Go to your building department and ask them. It’s up to you to mention your relative you never know.

Post Likes
    Say something happens, do you think your insurance company would use that as an out??????If the town inspects it that could take you off the hook.Homeowners can do eletric work ,but have to have a 3rd party sign off for it a post a seal on panel.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Post Likes
    Call your town. Anyone outside your town won't have exact info.

Each state / county / town has different (And sometime opposite) rules.

Example: In Elmhurt, IL you can't patch drywall unless you've got a license. Forget about mechanical or electrical.

In some Indiana areas "inspections" are preformed by an elected official. Permits optional for everything beyond the site plan.

Post Likes
    I just didn't know if the being licensed by the town would have any effect on insurance coverage or not. It's my experience that anything I don't ask about will probably bite me in the butt later on; better safe than sorry.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I have been trying to get ahold of our town's building department on and off for the last few days, but keep getting voicemail. I will keep on trying.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by slab

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I have been trying to get ahold of our town's building department on and off for the last few days, but keep getting voicemail. I will keep on trying.
    Then I'm pretty sure they won't catch you if your relatives
    change out the furnace without a permit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in